quail suddenly stopped laying!

szuds

Hatching
May 28, 2015
Tennessee
I have four females that started laying and than suddenly stopped. There about 16-18 weeks old, laid good for several weeks than started to stop. I'd get maybe one egg every other day and one that looked like it was really soft, than they completely stopped. I have them on artificial light but that's not helping. Nothing had changed for them except after they stopped laying I bought the highest profile feed I could find at 23% which is only 2% higher than what I was feeding. I'm looking for any suggestions? Thanks!

Which quail are you referring to? It sounds like to me that the quails you're owning are seasonal layers (those that are productive during the breeding months). Seasonally-productive quails like the bobwhite quail, start breeding only in the months when they'll begin to breed. Coturnix quails on the other hand, are renowned for their egg-laying ability. These quail lay eggs 24/7; they can even lay during the non-breeding season! Bobwhites however, are different from the coturnix. And, as mentioned earlier, bobwhite quails are seasonal layers; they only lay during the breeding season, which lasts from mid winter-early spring through late summer-early fall. During the breeding months, bobwhites can have a clutch ranging from about 5-20 eggs (the amount of eggs can vary), and lay a clutch of eggs once per year. These quails usually start laying at around 19-24 weeks old, though some may lay as early from what you've just witnessed. Your 4 females started to lay eggs at the age of 16-18 weeks! You also had them on artificial light, which I don't think is a good choice to force them to breed and lay eggs continuously. This could affect their natural breeding and sleeping conditions. Also, I think the artificial light is disrupting their natural breeding patterns, which I think could be the reason why your female quails suddenly stopped laying. You also said that the artificial light isn't helping. In the wild, bobwhites eat more insects throughout the breeding months. Do you feed your bobwhites a high-protein feed for maximum egg production? The highest amount of protein you could find is 23%, 2% more than the feed you gave them. That, however is still not enough protein to supplement them for a high production of eggs every single year, and too little protein for quail chicks too. Perhaps feeding them insects like mealworms and crickets or higher protein feed should help you get more eggs in the future than the amount of eggs you'd just got. Quail chicks need at least 28% of protein. Adult quails can have a smaller amount of protein, if you'd like. Unless you are breeding them, then they'll need feed that is high in protein. What season is it? Your quails had just laid eggs. Since seasonally-productive quails like bobwhite quails only lay eggs once a year, your quails won't be laying eggs anymore for the rest of the year. This means your quails will lay a clutch again this coming spring and summer in the next year.

Good luck with your quails and eggs! :)
And, welcome to BYC! :welcome

Last edited:
I have four females that started laying and than suddenly stopped. There about 16-18 weeks old, laid good for several weeks than started to stop. I'd get maybe one egg every other day and one that looked like it was really soft, than they completely stopped. I have them on artificial light but that's not helping. Nothing had changed for them except after they stopped laying I bought the highest profile feed I could find at 23% which is only 2% higher than what I was feeding. I'm looking for any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello, from your stated ages, I assume your quail are coturnix. You do not need added light this time of year in Tenn. If you have added light on them 24 hrs a day this is likely the problem....24 hr light stresses birds. If your light is only on 16 hrs a day, during the day light hrs, its likely you have something harassing your birds. Possibly at night like a coon, cat, possom, or owl..... when stressed, quail will not lay..... Any change in pen, pen mates, light hrs, ect can cause a "no eggs for you" situation..... afer they have started laying and shut down, it can take anywhere from two weeks to months before they start laying again.....

If your quail happen to be bobs, they are barely teenagers. I'd take the light off them and not expect fertile eggs till they are 24 to 30 weeks old. They are "first spring" breeders and will naturally lay from late April thru Aug. They can be forced but not at the age you state..... When forced to lay out of season, fertility will always be lacking even when they are adult....

Last edited:
Yes all my quail are coturnix. Thank you for your replies. Fat daddy I can't be certain if there is anything harassing them but they are about 4 1/2 ft off the ground and haven't had any issues up to this point. So I'm not sure. I've been trying to regulate the light because I was afraid they weren't getting enough light where they are located but it hasn't worked yet. I'll just keep an eye on them.

Yes all my quail are coturnix. Thank you for your replies. Fat daddy I can't be certain if there is anything harassing them but they are about 4 1/2 ft off the ground and haven't had any issues up to this point. So I'm not sure. I've been trying to regulate the light because I was afraid they weren't getting enough light where they are located but it hasn't worked yet. I'll just keep an eye on them.

You never know what comes creep'n around at night..... It may surprise ya! If your pen is secure enough the predator may not be able to actually get your birds. But a bird that is totally blind in the dark, has no clue what may be try'n to get in and is scared to death.... This means sleepless nights and high stress levels...... no eggs for you! Good luck.

Last edited:
I feed 21% meatbird crumbles which is the highest I can find in my area as far as meat bird crumbles go. When I happen to be in town I occasionally pick up a bag of 22% but that's as high as I've been able to find. My quail I keep in a hutch with light on them some where around 16 hours I try. They are in a shed-in-a-box brand shed until I get a barn built so thats why I have a light on them because I was afraid they weren't getting enough light where they are at. It is by no means dark in there enclosure during the day so that may not be the issue. I don't know. We have had some crazy weather changes for the past couple of weeks I didn't think of that. I'll hold off butchering them at least for a little bit than. See if they improve.

Back
Top Bottom