Coop Design Help

Shelbyrose17

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015

I need help with my coop layout. The enclosed part is 4' x 4'. The height is 3'ish on the tall side and 2'ish on the short side. I have 8 chickens and I need to figure out where to put roosting bars and the nesting boxes. For the nesting boxes I am planning on using buckets. Also I plan to make a PVC feeder which doesn't take up much room and a waterer too and I don't know where to put them. Any ideas help.
caf.gif
Maybe put the nesting boxes outside the coop?

Your coop and run are adequate for no more than 4. I'd start over using the framework you have for the coop and add on a new run. Build it floor to roof. 8 hens need about 6-8' of roosting space. It needs to be around 15" away from the walls. You need 2 nesting boxes (outside saves valuable space inside the coop) but only 2' inside isn't usable space.

I agree your coop is too small for 8 grown hens. They may fit now, if they're chicks, but hens get big and they need space so they don't get on each other's nerves and start behaviors like pecking or cannibalism. You don't give dimensions on the run, but it also would only fit about 4 hens.

Read this article, he did a great write up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Thanks for all the imput. I realize it is too small and I have no idea how to fix it. I will probably have to get rid of some of them:hit i dont have the money or space to make it larger..

Back
Top Bottom