need advice on new hens

noclue

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 17, 2014
Have an 8 month old hen and rooster who go into the coop each night so I can lock them safely away.

Recently added 3 new 4 month hens that haven't a clue about going into the coop by themselves so each night
I catch them and place them in there. This is getting old. This is the 4th night.
Will they eventually get the hang of it and go in by themselves?

They should get the hang of it but if they don't then you can lock them in the coop for a week then let them out. Locking them in shows them where home is so they will go back in at night. I actually had a similar problem and I put a light inside their coop and they went inside the first night I put the light in!!

Try throwing some scratch or some other tasty tidbit to get them to go into the coop. I shake a plastic jar filled with scratch and my chickens come running into the coop to get their treat.

thank you SO much for the reply.
I'll put a light in right now as the dusk is coming on.
you rock!!!

Did ur chickens go inside the coop??
1f601.png
1f601.png

The light definitely works. I have one on a timer to come on at 7:30 and go off at 9. Since some of ours were dawdling around at night like kids not wanting to go to bed, I got creative with them. At 8pm I go out with a slice of bread and a container of mixed unsugared dry cereal and oatmeal. They get the bread outside but they know they have to go inside to get their 'bedtime' snack. Problem solved. They are definitely creatures of habit.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Yes-the chickens went in the coop even before the light went on or snacks were put down.
But when I went in the pen to close the door they came out again so on went the light and in went sunflower seeds.
And in they went, doors shut!
This site is invaluable and so are all of you.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom