How to get my chicks to like me?

abbyok

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Ok. I know it sounds needy - but I need to get my chicks less skittish around me. I've had them since they were about 1 week and I have consistently tried to hand feed/hold them. It was easier when they were little, now that they are in the coop it's impossible. They will let me hand feed them if I'm on one side of the run and they are on the other. But when they are free ranging I can't get near them (makes it hard to get them back into the run when I need them to). Anyway, if you have suggestions I'm totally open. I'd love to be able to do regular health checks......

What breeds are they? Some are more skittish than others. My chickens are all very friendly and will run up and eat from my hands but even so, a couple do not like me to pick them up. That being said, they will jump in my lap but don't really enjoy being touched. These two would be my white leghorn and my bantam game hen, which can both be flighty breeds. My chickens like routine and they like to be around me because I am the food provider. Treats will win the heart of any chicken I believe. I don't push myself on them and force them to be held by me. I give them treats by hand, throw scratch on the ground and just spend time with them. I will walk around and "ignore them" and they follow begging for attention or just to see what I am up to. I will pet them if they approach, but again I never snatch at them or chase them to pick them up. I think that is why they trust me so much and seem to enjoy my company.

@Wyleiria good post
goodpost.gif
How I got mine to like me was I made a certain noise whenever I feed them so then whenever I went outside I would make that sound and they would come running to me the more you do this the more they will trust you especially if you feed them from your hand after a while try to pick em' up and maybe they just might let you! C: that's how I did it I am not sure if it will work with yours though good luck!

I talk to them and feed them by putting a small amount of food in my cupped hand. I also have a large walk-in run where I can put a small stool and just sit and watch and talk. I try not to chase them and now that they're putting themselves to bed at night I have no need to. Other than that, it's just spending time with them. Some will be friendlier than others.

Howdy abbyok

I agree totally with the suggestions to date.

When my gals were younger I walked ‘around’ them, giving them a wide berth and no reason to think I was going to chase them etc. I also ‘ignored’ them while pottering around in the garden; they get used to you being there; they will end up coming to you to see what you are doing rather than you having to go to them.

I sat on the grass when feeding them treats; much better to be down at their level and less threatening.

Time, trust, treats and patience are the key but their individual chickenalities will also be a factor.

My gals have learnt their names, come when called and pretty much do not let me out of their sight
wink.png

Thanks everybody! I have three black austrolorpes and three red sex linked. I really appreciate your ideas! We live in one acre fenced, and I'd love to let them free range more than I do. But since getting them back in the run is so tough (and they tend to escape the fence now while they are small) it's hard! I'll start on the suggestions today! Thxagain

I give mine meal worms and make sure they see the same container and shake it and they come running and will follow me anywhere. As far as getting chickens to like me.... Well I just gain their trust. They may like me but not if I ever have to pick them up for any reason. I think when they are babies you have to hold them a lot.

Last edited:
I give mine meal worms and make sure they see the same container and shake it and they come running and will follow me anywhere. As far as getting chickens to like me.... Well I just gain their trust. They may like me but not if I ever have to pick them up for any reason. I think when they are babies you have to hold them a lot.
Oh yeah I do that too they will never stop following you! lol
goodpost.gif

I have ten Wyandotte chicks I just got in the last 3 days and what I have done with them is to stick my hand in, and put feed on it, they were a bit jumpy at first, but they have come around just yesterday, I handle them and they fall asleep all the time now, one of them falls asleep almost as soon as I pick her up. I also have three hens and my two cousins and my sister each have two or three as well, we have a wire dog kennel at our grandparents farm,and we'll take two of each our hens and put them in it and we will each have one twine string off a square bale and make a loop, hook it over one of their legs, and place them on top the kennel to hand feed or groom them otherwise, we hold them and walk around, of course the twine isn't necessary if you don't mind them running around the yard, ( our grandpa doesn't want chickens in his garden ). But we have had each our hens for a year and my one hen Sunrise, let's me now carry her around without a string like a baby, or will perch on my shoulder while I walk around the farm. I hope my thoughts will help, also just to mention, our hens were each about 2-3 yrs. When we started 'training' them last year and all of them were wild, but they have all calmed down and almost enjoy being handled now.
:D

Back
Top Bottom