Pecking order

DuckRunner

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
So, I got 2 ducks from a lady at work a couple months ago, they were fairly big when I got them maybe a month-month and a half and have spent most of their time living in the coop and my back yard. A couple weeks later I got a new born duckling from work (was supposed to get two but the other ducklings in the shipment didn't survive) so I ended up taking home an extra chick from the shipment. Turns out the chick is a rooster, the new duckling is a hen. The other two I already had were a drake pintail and a hen. Now that all 4 are big enough to be outside, the drake pintail is showing his dominance to... the rooster chick. Which I know is normal, but he's still substantially bigger than the rooster is as the drake is nearly full grown and the rooster is still a little guy. Problem I'm having is my little duckling wants to show dominance towards the DRAKE and the rooster won't let her go anywhere without him right there. By the time it's all said and done there's a little hen chasing a big drake chasing a little rooster with a big hen just watching from the sideline... Should I keep them all separated until the rooster and the little hen are a little bigger or what? The little hen scares the crap out of the drake, but the drake being 4 times the size of the rooster is really scaring me he could do some damage to the little guy. Not sure how to go about handling this so any advice would be great

First of all what a cute story, my imagining of this scene made me laugh. You can keep them separated but still being able to see each other and supervise playtime but definitely let them visit each other until they are all about the same size. My bigger duck was kinda bullying my smaller duck for a few days but now they are besties and even sleep.together

Back
Top Bottom