Help understanding when days start?

Texashatching14

Chirping
May 27, 2015
I just set some chicks at 9 pm, Friday, may 29th. When does day 1 start? And when does day 18 start for lock down? I am going to add a couple coturnix quail and try to line up their lock downs but this is all so confusing!! How long can I keep my quail eggs at room temp without them dying? Should I just go ahead and put them in and just try to work around it?

I just set some chicks at 9 pm, Friday, may 29th. When does day 1 start? And when does day 18 start for lock down? I am going to add a couple coturnix quail and try to line up their lock downs but this is all so confusing!! How long can I keep my quail eggs at room temp without them dying? Should I just go ahead and put them in and just try to work around it?

If you set your eggs on May 29th, then May 30th is day 1. Count on from there to get to day 18
x 2 You count your start 24 hours after you set. So, if you set at 9PM on Friday the 29th then you Count day one as of 9PM Sat and day two 9pm Sunday and so on. That would put lockdown (day 18) starting 9pm on the 16th. So you'd lockdown either late on the 16th or anytime on the 17th and you would expect hatch Friday night the 19th/Sat 20th. As for eggs, most people set eggs by one week-ten days. After 2 weeks the hatch rates significatly drop. If you can I would wait and put them in so that the hatch days match up. It makes it much easier and optimal for lock down.

x 2 You count your start 24 hours after you set. So, if you set at 9PM on Friday the 29th then you Count day one as of 9PM Sat and day two 9pm Sunday and so on. That would put lockdown (day 18) starting 9pm on the 16th. So you'd lockdown either late on the 16th or anytime on the 17th and you would expect hatch Friday night the 19th/Sat 20th. As for eggs, most people set eggs by one week-ten days. After 2 weeks the hatch rates significatly drop. If you can I would wait and put them in so that the hatch days match up. It makes it much easier and optimal for lock down.

You are amazing. Haha.thank you! So I would be okay leaving the quail eggs at room temp for 4 days?

Room temp will work but a little cooler would help, just not the fridge. Also turn the eggs 2-3 times a day.I store mine in egg cartons pointy side down which makes turning easier.

You are amazing. Haha.thank you! So I would be okay leaving the quail eggs at room temp for 4 days?
You're welcome. 4 days is fine, but like Dan said, if you can find a place that's 60 ish (at least under 70F) that would be best. I think these last eggs I set, the temps were between 60-68 for them week I stored them. I'm on 2 weeks tomorrow and have had development in 100% of them with only one blood ring. Good luck. I hope you have a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom