Questions for chick VS pullets

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl
I'm getting a silkie today one week old I would prefer to only get one more chicken to my flock but my other 3 are 7 weeks is it okay to keep the chick with the pullets so it doesn't get lonely? I live in Florida the heat is usually 80 or above is that okay for baby ? I have quite a few questions. I intend to ask the breeder as well but I want the advice from you guys most of all! We have a ceramic heat lamp we use for our tortoise in the winter so I plan to use it with the chick in a smaller are I had set up for the pulleys when they first arrived but now I'm worried about getting only 1 or if silkie can be with pullets? Or maybe at least part of the day until she is old enough to be with the older chicks? Otherwise I suppose we will get 2 but I really don't want 5 chickens... What is your all advice on how to handle this? I want what is best for the chick or chicks not us.

Also when I got my other 3 they were vaccinated for mereks and dewormed... Is that all they need and is that all the new chick will need? Or what do you all suggest? What all do I need to do for these chicks or any chicks normally? I am new to all this and want to make sure I do it right! Thanks sooooo much in advanced you all are always so helpful!

(Oh the other 3 are two speckled Sussex one possibly a roo and a salmon faverolle)

I ended up going ahead and getting two and im going to keep them from my others for at least 4 weeks i think. They farm they came from was horrible! Not ideal.. the lady i got the other 3 from said she was going to deworm them but since i got them before she could she had me do it. I read somewhere on this site people do it as precaution once a year and others give them pimpkin seeds or what not to prevent it. I know she had me wait until they were st leastb4 or 5 weeks sorry if i didnt word it properly i just want to make sure im doing everything that needs to do done.

If they deworm, most wait until the are a year old or there is a problem. What exposure has a 5 week old had? I wait until they molt so there is no withdrawal period. I don't believe in the efficacy of natural dewormers so I won't comment on that.

Oh okay! Well not sure, she met me out at a store and didnt allow me to come to her home or farm so not sure on the exsposure, makes me wonder now! Maybe she was just misinformed herself? Good news to me though because one less expense. Hopefully they didn't even get any because most of the water spilt since we didnt have a proper waterer yet. I read once if the wrong dewormer was used you dont want to want to eat them (which i never plan to do) or eat their eggs (which we do plan to do). Ive asked her twice what kind it was and she only replied with, bought it at the tractor and supply store. :/ and she fed them medicated antibotic food. Is that nessecary? Id prefer to have them antibiotic free really afer all i pay extra for those kind of eggs. I was disappointed when i found that out but im not giving them that myself now, the 7 week old ones and 1 weekers are both getting dumor starter food.
Thanks for being kind enough to take the time to help us out and reply! Much appreciated

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with not allowing you on her property. She might be hiding something or she's practicing good management. Less apt for you to bring something home as well so it's good for both of you. Feeding a medicated feed is another personal management choice. Not wrong or right. Brooding lots chicks back to back, poor cleaning practices and lack of natural exposure increase the risk of coccidiosis and feeding the medicated feed reduces your loss.

Thats true! I was afraid of bringing something home from the second farm i visited when we got the silkie chicks. I suppose we shouldnt have a need for the medicated feed than here at home. But i will do some research just to be sure now. Thanks again for your time!

You can help your chicks to develop natural immunity by giving them some sod from your lawn. Just be sure you haven't used any insecticides or herbicides. IMO it would be best to get those groups of chicks together as soon as possible. What breed are the older chicks? You could put a wire divider in the brooder, so they can see each other. If you can rig it so that they share the same heat lamp space, so much the better. They'll get used to cuddling together (even with the wire) for heat. Then, you can put an older chick in with the babes, for a few minutes until all of the older chicks have spent time with the babes (one at a time). Then it will be time to take down the divider for some supervised play time. When you're confident that they are doing ok, you can remove the divider for good.

You can help your chicks to develop natural immunity by giving them some sod from your lawn.  Just be sure you haven't used any insecticides or herbicides.  IMO it would be best to get those groups of chicks together as soon as possible.  What breed are the older chicks?  You could put a wire divider in the brooder, so they can see each other.  If you can rig it so that they share the same heat lamp space, so much the better.  They'll get used to cuddling together (even with the wire) for heat.  Then, you can put an older chick in with the babes, for a few minutes until all of the older chicks have spent time with the babes (one at a time).  Then it will be time to take down the divider for some supervised play time.  When you're confident that they are doing ok, you can remove the divider for good.

the 3 older ones are 7 weeks and are speckled sussex and salmon faverolle. They are supposed to be a gentle docile breed, they love each other very much. The 2 younger ones i have are 1 week. Do you think i shouldnt worry about "quarrentine" i read you should do that with any birds brought home for first 4 weeks so incase not to give your birds anything they might have? All have supposedly been vaccinated for mareks. I was trying to figure out how to start getting them aquainted with each other thats a good idea to put a wire wall up between the brooder! At least for short time of day? The one weekers are so much smaller than the older ones but the person i received the one weekers from said to give it a go putting them together because of the breed but i havent yet. I was going to wait the 4 weeks because im weary being so unexperienced.

Thats very interesting about the sod! Is it unsafe for them to spend time in the backyard for a short time every day? Its probably 85 degrees outside so im sure its hot enough but not sure on anything else. Otherwise i can put some inside their area. I have decided to start cleaning out water and feeder with soap and water every day so not to get them sick i was only rinsing.

i have an out of topic question if anyone has an opinion, when we first received them they were shakey , the man said not to worry about a heatlamp if they are on my porch or garage but i got scared and put them under 85 degrees. It was at 90 at first they loved it and seemed to stop shaking then later they were as far away as they could get so i raised it to 85 84 degrees now they seem to be a bit shakey again is that just per usual for baby chicks and nothing to be concern for? The 7 weekers arent under a lamp.

I didn't realize there was 6 weeks age difference. Yeah, you might want to keep the 2 groups separate for a while. You'll just have to play it by ear and see how it goes. Re: outside, it depends on your set up, and how predator proof it is. I moved my 2 batches of babies outside at 1 week old. Am using a heating pad brooder. It works well, and I'll never use a heat lamp again. My 6 older chicks are 7 weeks old and still want to beat up the 22 3.5 week old chicks, so integration is a work in progress. But, they all come and go from the loft where the heating pad is for the babies. (they only rarely use it now). They have deep litter over bare ground, and they just recently were allowed a small run over a part of the lawn. I find it works well to allow 1 or 2 of the older chicks in with the babies at a time. They're not as intent on being bullies when they're separated from the rest of the gang.

Back
Top Bottom