The flock is a "mess"

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
Apologies for the vague title. I wasn't exactly sure what to say. All of my chickens, being different ages, were raised in separate brooders as chicks. Now they are all ranging from 5-10 weeks old, and they are ready to integrate into the coop.

The problem is that they are not forming a healthy pecking order, as far as I see. The 4 Wyandottes are aggressive and stick together, keeping everyone else from eating and drinking, and picking on the silkie (luckily it's never gotten too rough, but they prevent her from eating and drinking)

The Polish and the Silkie stick together like glue. The Polish being a protective cockerel, and the silkie being incredibly passive, so the polish has to constantly protect the silkie from the wyandottes, who pick on her.

The buff orpingtons mind their own business and constantly try to escape the run to avoid contact with the other birds. They aren't being picked on but certainly are not happy in the environment.

What can I do to help the flock work things out? Should I just leave them be and give them more time?

Thank you.

Wow. Well, to start with, a little more information would be helpful. How many birds total? How much space for your birds? Is the polish the only cockerel? Do you have places that the picked on ones can go to get away now and then? Do they free range at all? Are the groupings the same as how they were brooded? What ages are each group? How long have you had them together? They may not form a cohesive flock for awhile. They need time to get used to one another. As long as there are no injuries or blood being drawn, I wouldn't mess with things. I would suggest putting out more than one feeding and watering station.

x2. Plenty of space, extra food and water stations, and time, as long as there are no injuries. Silkies and Polish are less able to cope in mixed flocks, and especially if they are younger than the big girls. Mary

Wow. Well, to start with, a little more information would be helpful. How many birds total? How much space for your birds? Is the polish the only cockerel? Do you have places that the picked on ones can go to get away now and then? Do they free range at all? Are the groupings the same as how they were brooded? What ages are each group? How long have you had them together? They may not form a cohesive flock for awhile. They need time to get used to one another. As long as there are no injuries or blood being drawn, I wouldn't mess with things. I would suggest putting out more than one feeding and watering station.

x2. Plenty of space, extra food and water stations, and time, as long as there are no injuries. Silkies and Polish are less able to cope in mixed flocks, and especially if they are younger than the big girls. Mary

Ok. Sorry if it was a little vague. I typed it up in 2 minutes :p. I will answer each of your questions.

In total we have 11 birds. 6 sleep in the coop (4 Wyandottes, Polish and silkie), 2 that sleep inside but spend the day outside with the rest of the birds (Buff Orpingtons), and 3 little ones that are separate from the rest for the time being, and aren't really relevant at the moment.

We have about 90 square feet in the run, and once everyone is in, they will have eh, 7 square feet per bird?

The polish is the only one that is a cockerel as far as we know. The Wyandottes all appear to be pullets, and the silkie appears to be a pullet.

The silkie can get away if she is getting picked on, and the Wyandottes generally don't pursue her.

They free range every other day, sometimes daily. They are let out of the run and supervised for a few hours, and can wander around the entire yard.

Wyandottes are 10 weeks, Silkie and Polish are 9 weeks, and the Buff Orpingtons are 5 weeks.

They've been together for a little less than 3 weeks.

Thank you! I'll add another feeding and watering station and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Your idea of a healthy pecking order is different than an animals. Humans want everyone to get along and be friends, that's not how animals think. The whole point of being alpha to them is to get the choice food, water and sleeping spots. Chasing lower ranked birds away from food and water is totally normal. They usually don't guard 24/7, and the lesser can slip in and eat and drink, but having extra stations is always a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom