Hen not eating or drinking

Luddite

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
South Wales, UK
I've had some ex-battery hens for a couple of weeks, they were on a friend's farm and had all recovered their feathers and health. One, however has never laid, is quite large for her breed (Hyline) but has seemed healthy enough until today. This morning, she was reluctant to come out of the coop and isn't eating or drinking. She's just standing in the hedge, with her neck pulled in and looking quite miserable. Her comb and wattles look just fine, full and red.

Is this anything to be concerned about? Can I do anything about it myself?

My experience with ex-battery hens is 1 day they are fine eating ,drinking and scratching around and then the day after reluctant to do anything, feathers ruffled just standing around and then within a day or 2 I have found them dead. I think the trauma of being raised as a battery hen really leaves them unable to fight any illness and they have a short life span compared to other hens. The only consolation is that the last part of their life has been enjoyable.

She's still holding on, and I just went to check on her and it looks like an egg-laying problem - she was sat on a pile pf hay soaked with egg contents and a bendy, flattened egg shell.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be a one-off or will she be prone to this problem? Before this happened, I had doubts that she was laying at all.

I have 1 hen that lays very thin shelled eggs and the other day I found a egg that was intact but very soft and squishy they all have layers pellets,mixed corn,oyster grit and free range in my garden so I know its not a dietary problem she must just be prone to it

I found another two malformed squishy eggs in the coop this morning. Like you, mine have layers pellets, mixed corn, and I crush their eggshells up and give them back - plus they have a large run. The layers pellets alone should have enough calcium. The other two lay very strong eggs.

She did drink a little water and pecked a bit at the food.

Just a case of wait and see, I suppose.

What is a battery hen?
A battery hen is a hen that has been bred for egg laying, its kept confined in a small area its fed 24hrs a day its kept in artificial light so they lay constantly. They are kept until they are about 70wks old and then the farmer sends them for slaughter. There are groups out there that rescue them and find homes for them. When you get them they usually have feathers missing and have pale wattles and combs. But it doesn,t take long for them to regain the feathers and look like normal hens. Sometimes the shock can kill them but usually they settle down well and start laying 5/6 times a week. It can be very satisfying watching knowing you have give them a better life.

Back
Top Bottom