Sacramento County Chicken Owners

Sacto Chickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 28, 2015
Most people don't know that Sacramento County has an ordinance regarding owning chickens. If you do not live on a lot that is 10,000 square Feet or larger, you cannot legally raise chickens at your residence. I am looking to get that changed. There should be no restrictions on free citizens raising their own food or pets in a reasonable manor. How do you tell a man who has a 9999 sq. ft. lot that he has lost the freedom to choose what to provide for his family and the man who has 1 more square foot is HE IS FREE to make that same choice denied his neighbor?
The City of Sacramento allows chickens and has no sq. ft. requirements for your lot size. The City allows chickens. The county, for the most part, does not. Does this make sense to you?
The investment of chickens is low and the production of eggs can save quite a bit for a family. Not to mention, free range eggs taste far better and are healthier for you. There is inherent value in raising chickens and teaching our children about sustainable living. In the process they learn to respect our food sources and the responsibility of maintaining and protecting a food source. It is an invaluable lesson for our children.
My goal is to have the County Board of Supervisors change this ordinance to better represent the rural citizens of Sacramento County so that we may Pursue Our Happiness and enjoys the Freedom of our Liberties. I hope you will join me. Engage. God Bless.

Tony Lacy

https://www.facebook.com/chickenowners?ref=hl

Bummed. I just got a notice in the mail yesterday. Have to get rid of my Chickens now because my property is around 7000 and doesn't make the 10,000 sq ft. Just trying to reduce the carbon footprint and raise my own eggs and meat . :(

************CALL TO ACTION- JULY 8th******************
Alright folks, time for some action behind the words. It is time to take this matter to the County Board of Supervisors. There is a process to have matters heard so I have attached a link below for you to review. I would like a show of strength in numbers but I will be taking this matter to the Board no matter how many wish to participate.
I think it is best to have a Meet-up to discuss a plan of attack and then move forward. I think Wednesday, July 8th will give us plenty of time to prepare to speak to the board and it’s probably best option as it is in the evening. I am open to suggestions. You can post publicly or PM me as well. Thank you for your time and support.

Tony
[email protected]

************CALL TO ACTION- JULY 8th******************
Alright folks, time for some action behind the words. It is time to take this matter to the County Board of Supervisors. There is a process to have matters heard so I have attached a link below for you to review. I would like a show of strength in numbers but I will be taking this matter to the Board no matter how many wish to participate.
I think it is best to have a Meet-up to discuss a plan of attack and then move forward. I think Wednesday, July 8th will give us plenty of time to prepare to speak to the board and it’s probably best option as it is in the evening. I am open to suggestions. You can post publicly or PM me as well. Thank you for your time and support.

Tony
[email protected]

Has anyone dealt with the county board of directors before? I'm just wondering on how open they will be in changing the regulations. At the very least, at least change the application for a permit to keep chickens to something more reasonable. A permit to keep chickens is already silly, but $8500 is just ridiculous. My suggestion would be to push for the "farm to fork" motto that sacramento is trying to promote. How can sacramento promote farm to fork but discourage citizens who want to do basic farm activities such as raise chickens for eggs?

I won't be able to make the board meeting because of work, but hopefully I can contribute with a story / viewpoints. Maybe it would provide you with some suggestions on how to approach the board.

My reasoning for raising chickens is based on a few factors:
- locavore is currently popular, embracing local foods rather than imported from far away.
- cuts carbon footprint since food doesn't have to be trucked in.
- egg and meat industry is pretty horrific and borderline cruel. Raising my own chickens for eggs and meat, I know what I put into them. Chickens get to feel sun and grass, whereas even caged free eggs, chickens are locked in a barn.

I live literally a 3-4 minute drive away from a farm supply / feed store. I'm surrounded by farmland and small rural farms, yet I'm not allowed to keep chickens myself. In fact, my neighbors across the street have chickens, but I cannot. I would like to embrace sac county's rural heritage , but it makes it very hard with the 10,000 sq ft regulation since practically none of the new developments have that much land. As more and more small farms are being replaced by residential houses, it seems like sac county's rural heritage is dying. I want to be able to embrace sacramento's push as the farm to fork capitol of the world, but this law limits sac county's ability to do so. Permit fees like the $8500 for chickens , discourages farm to fork.

Ok, I filled out the suggestion form for my county supervisor. How did your matter go with the county board of supervisors ?

Back
Top Bottom