Questions about hatching eggs.

TheKochs

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
It's been a year since we got our chickens and I am attempting to hatch eggs since we have one brooding hen. Plus our rooster is an Easter Egger so I'm hoping that the chicks we get from the hens will lay colored eggs once they are grown.
So roughly two weeks ago, I left two eggs under my brooder and wrote on them so we knew those were the eggs to hatch. Well today I went to check and one egg was in a separate nest and was broken. It was one of the three I had wrote on. I saw no sign of a chick just some yoke. The other two eggs were still with my brooder. Can anyone tell me what this means or if I'm doing something wrong? Also is it okay to keep my brooder in with the rest of the flock when the chicks hatch? Will the other hens or rooster attack the chicks?

Thanks for your help!

I would move your hen and eggs away from the rest of the flock. That way no "accidents" will happen.

The hen could have "kicked out" the egg because it was no good. Not sure how chickens can tell, but they can!

So I moved my moma hen and the eggs to our smaller coop by herself, about 2 hours ago... She is not sitting on the eggs, I know there are chicks in them since I candeled them the otherday. How long should I leave the eggs if she isn't sitting on them. Should I be worried about the eggs staying warm? Please give me advise on this!
-The Kochs

If she's not back on them in 30mins, take over and incubate them. For now try gently setting her on the eggs to see if she will sit.

I sat her on them twice, She wont sit she just gets up and walks around. I don't have an incubator, Is there a way I could incubate them without one?

I got eggs for my broody 8 days ago, and as soon as I gave her the foreign clutch, she left the coop and wouldn't sit, at all. So into the bator they went! I really thought she would sit it out but she had been broody for 2 weeks already when I finally was able to find someone selling eggs locally, and she wanted no part of it!
I don't know how you can do it without an incubator, I have seen people make homemade ones, maybe you could try that.

I had an other hen go broody and seperated her from the others and placed all the eggs under her plus a few more. I went to check today and one was hatching... I can't wait... I can't help it can I?

the chick is bleeding where its ears are. Is this normal? Should I keep it away from the hen or keep it with the hen?

Back
Top Bottom