Moving to Alaska

Andria3232

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Hi, I am going to be moving to Alaska within a year and I would really like to be able to take my birds with me. Chickens, turkeys, geese, and ducks. I am hoping there is someone who has been in my situation and could spread some light on if this is possible? We currently reside in North Carolina and I have heard Canada makes bringing your birds through to Alaska impossible. Does anyone know what I need to do and how I can make this happen? I am faced with having to find them new homes and I am soooo attached to them as they are me, that I am willing to do whatever it takes to get them up there if possible. Thank you so much!

I really feel for as i'm moving soon and its impossible to take my bird family with me(i sometimes dont wanna care about my future and wanna stay with my feathered friends)...
Sadly i cannot give you advice about taking the birds through canada but you might find some way? The only thing i will tell you is that if hopefully you succeed is taking your family with you, is make sure you keep them in a bear proof setting armed with heavy duty material/fencing ;)
I hope you find a way that allows you to take your family to alaska and enjoy the fresh salmon!
Wish you the best and hope someone that has such knowledge drops by!

Thank you :) moving can be an exciting yet complicated thing. The thought of leaving them behind is very hard. I am already making the move with 6 dogs so why not my birds as well? If I can't go through Canada then maybe I can ship them? I have no idea if shipping adult birds there is even doable. As far as Alaska goes I have lived there before so thankfully I am no stranger to its ways. Having poultry there will be a first, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to have them with me and the proper living conditions. Whatever they need.

Yeah i was about to tell you no need to go through canada, ship by plane or boat with the US transportation system....

Make sure you have rabies certificates for your dogs. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they want to see it, sometimes a verbal declaration suffices...depends on who you get.

Also be careful of opened bags of dog food. I've never had an issue anytime I've crossed the border with my mutt but I've heard of people who have had this problem. Just keep some small bags of chow for the trip...leave the big bags for when the border crossings are done.

As far as the chickens go...check here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

There may be some sort of different rules if you're just crossing through. You can always contact them for clarification as well. You'll also want to check the U.S. side of things in case they give you grief coming into Alaska.

Maybe check if there's a way you can fly them out (many airlines carriers offer freight options for live animals of all sorts - mind what time of year you do this though!)

Make sure you have rabies certificates for your dogs. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they want to see it, sometimes a verbal declaration suffices...depends on who you get.

Also be careful of opened bags of dog food. I've never had an issue anytime I've crossed the border with my mutt but I've heard of people who have had this problem. Just keep some small bags of chow for the trip...leave the big bags for when the border crossings are done.

As far as the chickens go...check here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

There may be some sort of different rules if you're just crossing through. You can always contact them for clarification as well. You'll also want to check the U.S. side of things in case they give you grief coming into Alaska.

Maybe check if there's a way you can fly them out (many airlines carriers offer freight options for live animals of all sorts - mind what time of year you do this though!)

Expert!

Lol. Haven't done it with poultry but I've done a road trip or two with my mutt from Canada to the states - and I moved with her down here too. (We claim refugee status from ol man winter!)

Hi there, we are also moving to Alaska in the next month, and want to take our 8 hens with us. @Andria3232 did you ever figure out how to move your birds? Can you share with us?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom