HELP!!!

tara1324

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
I have call duck eggs in my incubator and they are due to hatch in 4 days. Today is the last day of turning the eggs (I do it by hand 3 times a day) and as I was turning them, I noticed a few dark spots on one of the eggs. I immediately candled it to see what the issue was and now I am more confused then ever! The baby is moving like crazy and I can hear tapping, but there is no longer an air cell visible! Zero! The entire inside of the egg is covered in veins. I've never seen or read anything like it and can find no information! Should I turn up the humidity now, even though they aren't supposed to hatch until Thursday???

Last edited:
I don't always see the air cell very well. It should be fine if you hear it tapping and chirping.

For ducks that incubate 28 days, lockdown is day 25. On lockdown stop turning, raise humidity to 65%, and wait! Mine began hatching day 26 and were all done by day 29.

Good luck!

I don't always see the air cell very well. It should be fine if you hear it tapping and chirping.

For ducks that incubate 28 days, lockdown is day 25. On lockdown stop turning, raise humidity to 65%, and wait! Mine began hatching day 26 and were all done by day 29.

Good luck!
I believe Calls hatch earlier than 28 days maybe @Lacrystol is on tonight she is Call duck experienced hatcher.

I know call ducks usually have a 26 day incubation period, but I feel like it is far too early, even for them. I'm most worried about the air cell seemingly disappearing
1f615.png

I know call ducks usually have a 26 day incubation period, but I feel like it is far too early, even for them. I'm most worried about the air cell seemingly disappearing
1f615.png
Thats why I was hoping @Lacrystol is on tonight she hatches lots of Calls and could answer your question, I have never heard of this before. Seems it would have to have an air cell.

I haven't heard of anything like it either and I've been scouring the internet and books today trying to figure it out and I've found nothing. The air cell was a clearly defined bubble at the large end of the egg and the duckling was a dark mass at the smaller end. Now, I can clearly see the duckling laying at the bottom of the egg, but it's laying lengthwise down the hole egg and the top half of the egg is completely covered in very defined veins. The duckling is still very active and I don't hear tapping anymore, but I can see its beak opening and closing.

Over on the threads about Call Ducks Hatched Today and Da Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread, I think you might be able to look up some names, get their attention.

I'm a little worried now. I just checked on the duckling, I can see that it's beak is at the opposite end of where it should be and movement is becoming very minimal. But the veins on the membrane are still very pronounced. I'm not sure what to do...
1f633.png

Back
Top Bottom