Cornish rocks are small

jbest

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
I am hearing that many butcher Cornish rocks at six weeks, but mine right now are passed that age into 3 months . They still weight about 2 pounds. Where is the huge meat bird I've heard about? Any ideas?

I am hearing that many butcher Cornish rocks at six weeks, but mine right now are passed that age into 3 months . They still weight about 2 pounds. Where is the huge meat bird I've heard about? Any ideas?

This question comes up here a fair bit....

First, your positive they are Cornish X?

Unless you are completely free ranging them it's about impossible for them to be that small at that age.

Your post should read " 12 week Cornish X eating me out of house and home" lol

In all seriousness sounds like you got white rocks or something similar

I agree with slingshotandLAR. Do you have pictures? Are you 100% sure of their age? Because mine grew slowly for Cornish X thanks to some health problems, and a smaller pullet I held back to butcher at a later time is still at least 8 lbs now at 11 weeks.

Like above, are you sure they are a cornish cross?

What are you feeding?

Where did you get them?

How are they being raised?

Large fowl weigh more than 2 lbs at 12 weeks in a lot of cases, but Cornish meat birds should be over 10lbs at that point. Not sure what you have, but wish you luck.

I had the same question. I bought what was purported to be Cornish rocks back on about the twentieth of March. As of right now, they are still able to FLY eight feet up in the air when I walk by. Guess I'll have to start processing other birds and let these take their place in laying soon since they won't be good eating birds.

I had the same question.  I bought  what was purported to be Cornish rocks back on about the twentieth of March.  As of right now, they are still able to FLY eight feet up in the air when I walk by.  Guess I'll have to start processing other birds and let these take their place in laying soon since they won't be good eating birds.

They are most definitely not CX....

We process the birds at 7 weeks, the largest one from the last batch is 5.53lbs dressed. If you had Cornish cross that lived that long they would be the size of turkeys. They wouldn't be able to walk, let alone fly

Well, if they are white rocks, would they be laying yet? I have gotten two JUMBO brown eggs in the last few days and I have never gotten any eggs that big from my crew before.

EDIT:

The more I'm looking up different breeds, the more I'm thinking they look like Rhode Island Whites.

Last edited:
I am 100% positive that the breed I purchased is cornish X (3rd time raising them and purchased right from the hatchery). They are PUNY this year. What state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom