please help someone turk broken bone

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
my turk unfortunately from accident foot was partially stepped on by family member and his foot seems to have broken at the ankle, turk almost 6 weeks old. do not want to put down any way to help save him/her?please, quick responses greatly appreciated

my turk unfortunately from accident foot was partially stepped on by family member and his foot seems to have broken at the ankle, turk almost 6 weeks old. do not want to put down any way to help save him/her?please, quick responses greatly appreciated

Turk is a turkey? Use splints, tootrhpicks, whatever and tape, band aides etc. Bandage foot/ankle/leg with splints in a normal position as close as you can to normal position. Fasten securely so Turk can not pick it loose. Hopefully it will heal fast; at 6 weeks of age it should.

Last edited:
from sselling and protect from fever setting in from break how much of a baby aspirin should i give it, and how? also how often? assuming their immunity breaks down same as humans when a break should happen.

Just thought I would add this for anyone out there that ever goes through this, to reference. I reset the bone and dressed/splinted the bone with small sticks, held to skin with band aids , then dressed over with bandage that not stick to skin but sticks to itself which purchased in band aid area of supermarket. I separated this turk for 2 weeks isolation with inability to perch. First days I administered portion of baby aspirin per quart of water to help with pain and prevention of fever from broken bone.
I am happy to inform you all that few hours ago I removed bandages and inspected the leg and it set very well and perfectly straight and un noticeable. The bird at first was slow to understand the healed leg but adapted eventually and now is 100 % . As a matter fact already let others know its place in pecking order in the line of authority.
So any of you go through this, 2 weeks for a young bird is sufficient for splint and isolation. they heal rather quickly.

Last edited:
I have looked all for turkey leg problems / fixes. Find very little helpful.

I have 4 month old tom.

I put themm up in evening free range during day.

Pet a storm was coming high winds ect... my husbandvwas yelling hurry up get your horses in. I was in process of putting up fowl. I threw open pen door had turkey in arms bent down to let him go in the excitement let him go maybe 2 not all the way to 3 feet off grown.
I am thinking I was not gentle enough as I am sire to be always. I normally set them down few inches of ground. He hurt a leg I am unsure if it is tendon or joint. I am thinking joint?
His leg is straight standing walking joint area flexs out to side. Giving bow leg look. He does walk on it. I just do not want him walking with others. To help keep damage under more control.
where can I find out resources to help me figure out what it maybe what to do how to help fix it?
Process to do it I care for him I raised him to sell now he has bonded to me runs to me foloows me. Shows clear signs of joy to see me I figured okay your a pet....another mouth to feed plus his friend had four lost a hen.
you can find chicken issues more chick leg issues .
Hard to find older fowl leg issues especially turkey several months old or older. He had no issues with leg before I dropped him too high in the world wind of a very bad storm........

Do you have any ideas ?

Resourses?

I need help identifying problem, treatment to repair birds leg issue now. You can clearly see it bow out no heat a little swell I think below joint. Which came a day or so of walking on it.

I know keep him pinned. Do I crate him to limit mobility even more. How do I stablize joint area with still allowing it proper function. First day I wrapped it he and friends picked at it had to move him. He gave up on picking . Or I would of maybe tried to collar him to not allow reach area.
next day had leg swell so removed it to not damage tissues.
swelling went down. Keep in pen a few days still same. Is next step support keep in pen. Or even smaller dog kennel.
if I need support which I think I do I need to know how to do it correctly.
any ideas would be great.
sorry to repeat issues just trying to help under stand what I see plus did to date...
anything to help him would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

I have looked all for turkey leg problems / fixes. Find very little helpful.

I have 4 month old tom.

I put themm up in evening free range during day.

Pet a storm was coming high winds ect... my husbandvwas yelling hurry up get your horses in. I was in process of putting up fowl. I threw open pen door had turkey in arms bent down to let him go in the excitement let him go maybe 2 not all the way to 3 feet off grown.
I am thinking I was not gentle enough as I am sire to be always. I normally set them down few inches of ground. He hurt a leg I am unsure if it is tendon or joint. I am thinking joint?
His leg is straight standing walking joint area flexs out to side. Giving bow leg look. He does walk on it. I just do not want him walking with others. To help keep damage under more control.
where can I find out resources to help me figure out what it maybe what to do how to help fix it?
Process to do it I care for him I raised him to sell now he has bonded to me runs to me foloows me. Shows clear signs of joy to see me I figured okay your a pet....another mouth to feed plus his friend had four lost a hen.
you can find chicken issues more chick leg issues .
Hard to find older fowl leg issues especially turkey several months old or older. He had no issues with leg before I dropped him too high in the world wind of a very bad storm........

Do you have any ideas ?

Resourses?

I need help identifying problem, treatment to repair birds leg issue now. You can clearly see it bow out no heat a little swell I think below joint. Which came a day or so of walking on it.

I know keep him pinned. Do I crate him to limit mobility even more. How do I stabilize joint area with still allowing it proper function. First day I wrapped it he and friends picked at it had to move him. He gave up on picking . Or I would of maybe tried to collar him to not allow reach area.
next day had leg swell so removed it to not damage tissues.
swelling went down. Keep in pen a few days still same. Is next step support keep in pen. Or even smaller dog kennel.
if I need support which I think I do I need to know how to do it correctly.
any ideas would be great.
sorry to repeat issues just trying to help under stand what I see plus did to date...
anything to help him would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

I recommend that you post in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom