Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
There has been considerable controversy over the true origins of the Brahma breed, but appears to have developed in the US originally, from birds imported from China. They were send off from the port of Shanghai and were thus known as "Shanghai birds". Brahmas as we know them were first exported to England in December 1852, when George Burnham sent nine "Gray Shanghaes" to Queen Victoria as a gift. The Dark Brahma variety was developed by English breeders from this stock and later exported to the United States, where the Brahma was the principal meat bird from the 1850's to around 1930. Some of these birds were very big, with males weighing in at up to 18 lb and females at 13 lb.
The Light and Dark Brahma were developed and included in the first edition of the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection in 1874 and the Buff variety was added in 1924. The Australian Poultry Association has accepted black, blue, partridge, crele and barred varieties of Brahma in addition to the standard light, dark, and buff.

Details:
Breed Purpose: Dual purpose
Comb: Pea
Broodiness: Average
Climate Tolerance: All climates
Egg Productivity: Average
Egg size: Large
Egg Colour: Light brown
Breed Temperament: Friendly, easily handled, calm, bears confinement well, docile

(Some) Breed Colours/Varieties: Light, Buff, Dark, Gold, Black, White, Blue and Blue Columbian (Breeders, please reply to thread with more)
APA/ABA Class: Asiatic

Rooster pic by @Sjisty

Hen pic by @Missi

Chicks pic by @NestingHillsSC

Pic by @bumpercarr

Pic by @Tim63

Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/brahma

Breed discussion threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/873000/brahma-breeders-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734972/backyard-brahmas/0_30

Do you own Brahmas? Are you a Brahma breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful birds! I especially love the feathering on the one in the 2nd photo. Looking forward to reading member's experiences with them.

Question: do all Brahma's have feathered legs?

Thanks!

I have two dark Brahma hens in my flock (one is pictured above in the original post). I got them from a local breeder who breeds for proper type. I don't show my birds, they're just pets who make us breakfast but there is nothing more lovely than a correct Brahma hen so I wanted to get mine from a good source. They're very docile & lay well for me! When they first started laying, I got an egg from both each day. They're still laying fairly regularly.
I was a bit concerned how they'd do in the Southwest Florida heat & humidity being a heavy breed with plenty of plumage. Summer is tough for all of my birds but they just bury themselves in their dirt baths
tongue.png
They don't seem any worse off than my wyandottes & orpingtons. I'm thinking it helped that they are from stock from here.

That is a horrible picture of my birds....they are much better than that. That picture showed them when they were molting.....I'll try to get some better pics when I get back home.

I've raised chickens for six years and only this winter did I see my first picture of a Buff Brahma. Immediately, I wanted a few. So, hopefully next year I'll get a few.

we have a light Brahma she is white with touches of black tips, she i a what i call a peeper squeaker not loud at all she sings beautifully when laying eggs.. BB follows us even into the house and aound the house,She gets along with the Dominick and the Buff that we also have but would like to get a couple more brahma.s

I have 3 brahmas in my flock, a light brahma, a dark brahma and a light/buff laced cross. When I got chickens 5 years ago, I wanted chickens that would be friendly, easy going, and good layers. I chose brahmas because they were known as the Gentle Giants and light brahmas are known for laying well in the wintertime. My light brahma, Sweet Caroline, is one of the best birds I have in my flock. She is so friendly, wants to be held and snuggle, very smart, great with kids and one of the head birds of my flock. She has laid 3-5 eggs a week for 4 years but she has slowed down to 2-3 a week now that she is 5 years old. She lays the biggest eggs, light brown with dark spots. Every time some one thinks about getting chickens I always mention the light brahmas. All 3 of my brahmas are great birds but Caroline is my very special girl.

Betsy Boo (the Dark Brahma), Caroline, and Ebony, (the black Cochin) hanging out.

Sandy, the light/buff laced cross and Caroline's daughter.

NorthFLChick: Yes, all brahmas have feathered legs and on their middle and outside toes but not the inside toe.

Last edited:
This is second year with chickens. My first flock was purchased at a feed store, where happened to find some Langshans. I really wasn't at all nowledgeable about chicken breeds, but I loved the feathery feet!! So this year, I ordered my hips from a hatchery. I live inSouthwest Texas, where some breeds are very hard to find. Most of the chickens around my border town are related to game birds
So I ordered a Feather Footed Fancy, including Brahmas, Cochins, and Langshans. Is pretty sure my order is mostly Brahmas and Cochins, which is fine with me. My favorite, most friendly, chick is, I believe, a male Light Brahma.

I've named him Roy Acluck, since my theme this year is old time Country Music stars. ( ialso ordered a few Easter Eggers, soo have one named Patsy Cluck and one named Loretta L'Hen. ).
Ialso have one Brahma chick, I'm not sure what to call the color? But here's a picture. What color doyouthinkits going to be?

At first, I thought this was a silver laced Cochin chic, but it has a pea comb, then I saw this thread and the opening pics have a hen that looks like what think this one will grow up to be, but I still don't know what it's called.
I'm really enjoying my Brahmas sp far!!

Luna, the great white whiner bird, only to be out done by Rose

They love rose petals and making the egg song so the whole neighborhood knows I have chickens. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
big_smile.png
Everyone loves these two and they are always picked up and gently put down. Their feet are more tender than my Australorps and Wyandotts. Beautiful eggs and an easy going chicken as they mature and boy do they love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom