Lucky - the Story so far.

malkered

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Brighton, United Kingdom
Lucky hatched on Tuesday last at 5pm. The only successful hatch from a clutch of 6 RIR mail order eggs. Lucky took 24 hours to hatch.

After drying out for 29 hours in the incubator we moved Lucky into our home made brooder.

The move to the brooder seemed to go ok.

There are chick crumbs in there which Lucky has been pecking at. I've shown him/her where the water is but I haven't actually seen him/her drink. Lucky seems perky enough but I'm concerned he/she might not drink.

Any input would be appreciated.

Do you have a water bowl, or just a gerbil water thing? The chick should drink frequently, but probably is too young to figure out any special contraptions.

The chick will need constant access to both food and water, so larger feeders are ideal (unless you can refill them every hour). You can dip the chick's beak into the water to teach them where it is. The water does need to be deep enough that they can scoop some into their beak.

Last edited:
Here is what my home made brooder looked like initially. You can't see the heat lamp, but it is clamped to the side opposite the food, over the thermometer.

Last edited:
Make sure there are cool and warm doors in the brooder. I know they say it should be "x" degrees, but I find they often like an area to cool as well.

You may want to sprinkle a few crumbles on the floor of the brooder, they peck the ground and it will be easy to find until they figure out the feeder.

Single chicks get likely, although I know your will get lots of attention! A small stuffed animal gives them something to cuddle against.

You're doing fine. I'm not being critical. I'm sure you are going to enjoy this experience!

I've put medicated chick crumb in there which Lucky pecks at, I'm hoping that in the next few days that another hatch will provide company but in the meantime I'll find lucky a teddy. I deliberately put the lamp at one end of the brooder so that one end is cooler than the other. Temp in the centre of the brooder is around 35 but nearer 38 under the lamp so the other end is probably cooler still. Please be as critical as you like, I really want to get this right and I value your input.

I've raised chicks in brooders, I've had broodies raise chicks in all weather. There are "the rules" you always see. There is reality. Reality is chicks are adaptable to a lot of things. I find overheating is worse than being a little cool, especially after the first couple days, as long as they have a place to go to warm up. Keep the feed and water in the cool end.

If they make a lot of noise, they are: hungry, thirsty, hot, cold, lonely, or just seeing if you are paying attention, lol. Much like babies.

Hi,
I covered the floor with paper towels so I could keep an eye on the poop!! The ones with bumps gave them enough grip to walk, you could give him some wet down food then he would get water too!did you dip his beak in the water and food? It helps

I dipped his/her beak in the water and he/she drank. I'm just nervous to leave anything deeper than a few millimetres in there in case he/she drowns.

I read somewhere that marbles in the water were a solution but are normal glass marbles with the colour swirls in them safe to use?

My bantam just hatched 2 eggs this morning! I don't know who's more excited her or me!! She keep going broody, so, on the fourth time I gave her 2 eggs (not hers). I didn't know the other hens would want to help her out with eggs so I didn't mark them. The next day I found 4 eggs in the nest, not knowing which ones where there first I let her have them all.

OK, now what do I do? Do I keep her and the chicks in the coop with the others, or more her and the chicks some where else?

Back
Top Bottom