by 13 weeks would I know if I had any roosters?

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
One of my BO is developing wattles and red on the face faster than the others. It isn't growing a large comb in comparison to the others and is not crowing. But, would you generally know by 13 weeks if a chicken was a roo?

Remember they won't all mature at the exact sametime. Mine are 18 weeks and Some of my girls have very developed red wattles and combs and others still pink and nothe much comb or wattle. It could be a roo or may be just the first to lay an egg. Your only 3 weeks away from possible eggs. Not likely that young but it happens.

Please post some pictures of the 13 week olds.  There are plenty of people on here that can help you judge whether you have a cockerel or pullet. 

Sorry it took so long, but this is about 15-16 weeks

Here is another one. The top left is the one in question, the bottom right is from the same hatch.

It definitely has not crowed yet. If I have a silent cockerel then I would be ok, otherwise we aren't allowed to have a rooster in our city :(

My one buff Pumpkin looked just like that at 16 weeks. they are 20 weeks now she just started laying and the other two are not yet. I still think your is hen.

Last edited:
Looks like a pullet to me and I'd say she'll lay first. I suppose anything is possible but I think a BO cockerel would have much, much larger comb and wattles by now. My little BO cockerel's comb and wattles were at least twice that big at 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom