sliping on edge of kiddie pool

72elizabeth

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern FL
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any ideas what to put on the lip of a kiddie pool. My geese slip on the edges of the kiddie pool and I'm afraid they will injure their legs.

smile.png
Hi 72elizabeth,

Old auto floor mats work great, even the small square ones made for the rear floor board, cut into 8 inch wide strips and fastened to the pools edge with 1/2 inch round head wood screws. You can purchase an inexpensive (cheap) set of floor mats from Walmart for 10.00.

Thank you duckets. I thought maybe there was something that had a tacky bottom to it, that I could just glue on. Won't the screw pop out from the mats?

smile.png
Hi 72elizabeth,

Old auto floor mats work great, even the small square ones made for the rear floor board, cut into 8 inch wide strips and fastened to the pools edge with 1/2 inch round head wood screws. You can purchase an inexpensive (cheap) set of floor mats from Walmart for 10.00.

smile.png
Good Saturday Afternoon 72elizabeth,

Yes if you over tighten the screws they will pierce or in fact cut the material, you should screw them through the strips of floor mat into the lip of the pool just enough to hold the material in place, approx 4 inch's lapped over the inside and outside. This will also allow the material to be used again on another pool if it becomes necessary, you have to use the cheap rubber type also because the clear vinyl stuff is almost as slippery as the plastic pool edge itself.

Also I forgot to mention that the 'dimpled' side should go down, pointed up and those little protrusions are also a slip hazard. I believe the mats I posted have a thin layer of 'carpet' attached, this stuff can be slippery also, just like indoor outdoor carpet. You really want the ones made from plain thin rubber, and choose a light color such as beige or grey, more attractive and less heat absorbent than say black. And you can space the screws 8 or 10 inch's apart.

I've tried that cheap green indoor / outdoor carpet and rubber cement in the past, the carpet deteriorates and the rubber cement doesn't bond very well to the pool material because it is too smooth.

Great idea with the auto mats!

I'd rather use stainless bolts and lock nuts than screws; geese have an almost uncanny ability to undo screws, and I'd be worried they'd eat them.

I've also considered using adhesive anti-slip tape, but I don't think it would hold up long against the constant picking and yanking from playful goose bills.

smile.png
Good Morning The goose girl, You are absolutely right about using lock nuts, I completely overlooked the fact of how persistent geese can be when it comes to taking something apart. I've only used this technique with ducks, and they do have much shorter attention spans.
tongue.png

And geese will remove latches and hinges that aren't secured well, Thank You for the reminder. I have tried some of that expensive stair tread tape, the wide stuff, and the ducks 'nibbled' the grit from the strips that did stay stuck, leaving behind the slick backing material. The cheaper floor mats create more of textured surface as they age, as opposed to higher quality rubber.

Wow, they sure do get into things, LOL. Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to build them a deck, where the lip of the pool will meet the deck and prevent them from slipping. Thanks everyone!

I put a cushion against the kiddie pool for her to use as a step. She only uses it half the time. The other half, she insists on climbing in without assistance. She isn't always graceful climbing in and out of her pool. Her legs are fine.

I put a cushion against the kiddie pool for her to use as a step. She only uses it half the time. The other half, she insists on climbing in without assistance. She isn't always graceful climbing in and out of her pool. Her legs are fine.

Thanks for the idea. I have doggie ramp that I just set up, now all they have to do is use it????? I'll have to pick up a couple of pavers to set in the pool. Maybe they'll get the idea.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom