One year old goose and gander hatching problems ?

ginamarier

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
I went out the other night and heard this AWFUL hissing and my goose was in her nest ...gander outside hissing like I have never heard him ....She had hatched an egg and next thing I saw was the baby come flying out of the nest ...I'm sure she threw it out in excitement....both of them scared of what had happened. I thought the mama might come back and get but it was dead the next morning. I feel the male killed it. What should I do . Take the male out all together . I thought they were great parents but this is very alarming. Does this happen on first time hatching parents ? TY for ur replies

I went out the other night and heard this AWFUL hissing and my goose was in her nest ...gander outside hissing like I have never heard him ....She had hatched an egg and next thing I saw was the baby come flying out of the nest ...I'm sure she threw it out in excitement....both of them scared of what had happened.  I thought the mama might come back and get but it was dead the next morning.  I feel the male killed it.  What should I do .  Take the male out all together .  I thought they were great parents but this is very alarming.  Does this happen on first time hatching parents ?    TY for ur replies   

Yes. This happens, occasionally, with first time parents. Unfortunately it may repeat with each new breeding attempt. From your description it sounds like the hen is the culprit. You can try removing the gander if there are more eggs hatching, but be prepared.

Thank u for ur reply. I understand and u may be right. I just went out there and now the male is standing outside the nest and goose is behind him. I think I hear a peep inside the crate (nest) and (gander) will put his head in but female is behind him. They are scared , I understand ....but , I can get in there and get the baby if need be. How do I feed . I can put it under the heat lamp and I have a box where all my chicks and two geese were raised. Should I try. My poor gander, I think the female keeps him stirred up all the time and he just wants to protect her.

Thank u for ur reply.  I understand and u may be right.  I just went out there and now the male is standing outside the nest and goose is behind him.  I think I hear a peep inside the crate (nest) and  (gander) will put his head in but female is behind him.  They are scared , I understand ....but , I can get in there and get the baby if need be.  How do I feed .  I can put it under the heat lamp and I have a box where all my chicks and two geese were raised.  Should I try.  My poor gander,  I think the female keeps him stirred up all the time and he just wants to protect her.

You could take the gosling. Their care is pretty easy. There's waterfowl starter food available. Chick crumbles will work in a pinch. Goslings also like to crop grass. If the geese have not hurt this gosling they may be alright. It's a hard call; you have to decide if yo want to raise these goslings separate from the parents.

Hi , Right after I posted last I decided to get the baby. I have it in a 1/2 crate right now. It seems strong but "bobbly" smile .... I raised the goose and gander from goslings. Hoping for the best. TY for ur replies . Moral supports helps ~~ There is 6 eggs left, I believe and they are in the same position. The goose is laying behind gander like "Well I have done my duty" You protect me from those babies coming out of those eggs I have laid on all this time. Gander is standing at doorway of crate . Nothing else going on...if I hear anymore peeps ...I'm going in again. TY again ~~

Sorry for your loss, It seems sometimes they just cannot figure out what is going on and freak out. I had it happen with first time mama duck. You did the right thing and probably will have to intervene again but your ready now. Here is some basics on gosling care.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Let us know how it goes. Is she still sitting on the eggs?

The goose has not gotten back on the eggs all day today. Will they hatch if she doesn't get back on them ? I have some starter food for the chicks I am raising so I have put some out for the baby but so far she is not eating or drinking . I did read somewhere that she is getting nourishment from the yoke and should be ok for the first 24 or 36 hours. Is this true ? I will keep trying .

The goose has not gotten back on the eggs all day today. Will they hatch if she doesn't get back on them ? I have some starter food for the chicks I am raising so I have put some out for the baby but so far she is not eating or drinking . I did read somewhere that she is getting nourishment from the yoke and should be ok for the first 24 or 36 hours. Is this true ? I will keep trying .
Yes they live off the yolk for the first couple days just keep the food and water close by and try ever so often.
If she isn't sitting on the eggs I doubt they will hatch unless they had already internally pipped then they could get shrink wrapped with out humidity her body provides. Do you have an incubator? you could try to candle and see what's going on that way you can tell if they are still alive or if any have internally pipped or look them over real good for external pips.

The eggs were cold this morning and i took them out. TY for the replies...... The baby seems fine this morning ...she has a great set of lungs. i left moisten food out last night for baby last night. i think she was eating out my hand this morning.

The eggs were cold this morning and i took them out. TY for the replies...... The baby seems fine this morning ...she has a great set of lungs. i left moisten food out last night for baby last night. i think she was eating out my hand this morning.
Glad to hear the lil one is doing well and letting you know it, you can put a mirror with out sharp edges in with him and it may help to keep him company and a stuffed animal to cuddle with.
Sorry about the rest of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom