Crooked Beak

Dlhein

Hatching
Apr 8, 2015
Hello all! My family is new to this chicken business. We got four chicks this past spring and they are all growing up quickly. We have noticed that one of the girls has a crooked beak...she is eating fine and it doesn't seem to give her any problems but I was just curious if this was a normal variant?

She should be just fine. We had one with spraddle leg we rescued, we had one leg correct but the other did not, unfortunatly she did t make it as she couldn't keep up with the others. In this case yours should be good to go

Has her beak been like this for a while, like since she was a couple weeks old? I had one hen develop it at 6 weeks old and at that age it's less likely to cause permanent struggles. She actually had her top beak growing faster than the bottom and that was causing the cross beak, so I filed it down and she was better.

She should be fine. I have a 1yo glw hen who has a crooked beak her name is Goldie but my mom calls her crooked beak
2639.png

My chick has a very crooked beak. The top and bottom don't touch at all. She seems to eat and has been growing. But the other chicks are passing her in growth. She is 3 weeks old and I don't know if she is suffering. She runs away more so than the others when I go to pick her up (still indoors in the brooder) and she is more talkative.

I am raising the girls (I hope they are all girls) for eggs only. All are named so possibly doing "what needs to be done" breaks my heart and makes me cry just typing it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Our crooked beaked chicken, Edith, is still running around and doing well. She is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order but she is laying eggs and is healthy. We had the same conversation and thankfully she is doing well, otherwise she might be soup (not really). I would just give it more time and see how the chick does.

Thank you. She is an Ameracauna and isn't as big as her sister ("sister" is still assumed) But she isn't losing weight either. So I will love her and feed her and hope for the best.

I have a bunch of meat chickens. I would go out every day and see if they were healthy and alive. I feed and water. Other than that, I never really messed with them. Until today. I found this guy and happened to notice his beak. He is eating and drinking....... only not growing as fast as the other roosters. I think he should be fine for another couple weeks until he is the size for culling.

I have a chicken that's had a crooked beak for as long as I can remember... She has trouble eating grass and bugs, but other than that she's good.

Here she is
2b06.png

Back
Top Bottom