Mealworms - recommended treat quantity or frequency?

littlegosling

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2015
Our goose has now discovered the pleasure of eating mealworms haha. We started giving it to her as a treat in the water to motivate her to swim around. Now she wants it every time she has a bath, which is twice a day. Anybody has any advice on what would be a recommended daily amount? We do not want to overfeed protein as we understand this can cause problem later. Her diet right now is mainly grass. She still eats from her starter crumble but favours the grass much more. Thank you!

Just give her another treat during bath time instead. Some kind of vegetable.

Most people don't feed any meat/insects to geese at all. I would take it out of her diet; I don't think mealworms will make her sick, but there are better things for her to eat.

My two female geese love meal worms and I haven't seen any signs of it hurting them at all. My 2 ganders wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole
lol.png

I think since mine are going into molt that the extra protein will be good for them. Between the 2 of them they probably get about 1/3 cup a day as an afternoon treat.

My goose wants nothing to do with meal worms or insects in general. I was surprised to read how many geese here love worms. I read they are supposed to be strict vegetarians. The educational sites on geese need to update their info!

My goose wants nothing to do with meal worms or insects in general. I was surprised to read how many geese here love worms. I read they are supposed to be strict vegetarians. The educational sites on geese need to update their info!
I was surprised my 2 females love them, my boys just stick their noses up in the air. course they have them up in the air most of the time anyway.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom