Astrolorps Egg production drop! HELP

AAfarms

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Lexington Kentucky
I have 15 Black Austrolorps I have not changed their feed or their environment, they free range sun up to sun down I do not use artificial lighting basicly nothing has changed except the summer temp. but my chickens have gone from 12 to 15 eggs a day to 6 or less what is going on? I use oyster shells for calcium and put electrolytes in their water too

A hen who free ranges will eventually get it into her head that her human slaves don't know doodle squat about how to properly sight a nest. When your hens get into this frame of mind they will begin laying wherever they darn well please. A 4th of July Easter eggs hunt may be in your future. It is a tad early for the molt to kick in unless you have done something to force a molt.

Last edited:
Heat can slow laying.
Are you sure there's no pests in the coop or nests?
They ever run out of water? Even a few hours without water in the heat can shut things down.

1/2 acre is a lot of space, and they can sneaky hiders of nests.
Lock them in the coop for a few days.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Whenever I have an unexpected drop in egg production, it is always a hidden nest. Someone gets the bright idea, and the others are willing to follow. Some hens are more prone to do it than others. However, they will often favor a spot, so once you find it, you can check there again at the next drop.

Lock them up, and see if the eggs come back, or go sit outside for the day and watch and wait for the egg song. They can be masters at hiding them, practicallly in plain site.

Mrs K

thanks for the ideas everyone: no hidden nest or water issues or any of the other ideas....I had a broody chicken for a while now but in the last couple days I have seen a lot more hostility out of her. put her in the freezer yesterday and had 12 eggs this morning. my girls feel liberated

Back
Top Bottom