Looking for Possible Answers

guineawagner

Hatching
Jun 25, 2015
Hello! My family and I are new guinea fowl owners! We were blessed with 8 little ones, but sadly last night one passed away. We are not sure what happened.

Yesterday morning we noticed thie little guy was acting slugish and was separated from the rest of the flock. He had no interest in eating or drinking and was not putting weight on his right leg. His right wing also appeared to be droopy. We took him from the rest of the group, his body was very cold and his breathing shallow. After separating him, a few hours later he passed away. I kept hom as warm as possible with a towel and his heat lamo, but nothing seemed to help. I am not able to tell what could have killed him.

He was a little smaller than some, but didn't really get picked on. He had no signs of any severe peck wounds. It happened so quickly it seemed, so I wonder if maybe he was ill? Or got seed stuck inside of his throat and choked to death (although if that had been the case, I'm sure he would have passed away right away). Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

The rest of the guineas seem happy and healthy and are eating and drinking just fine.

Please help,
From a concerned guinea owner

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry to hear about your little keet. It could have been a genetic defect, poisoning from a toxic plant or chemicals, or it could have a bacterial or viral infection.

I myself don't own keets, but it could be coccidia, which takes chicks really fast. It is treatable if caught early.

Make sure the others have good food (with the proper protein and vitamins) and plenty of water, as well as a warm, dry area to rest. Watch out for signs of illness such as droopy wings, green or bloody droppings, and sitting hunched up.

Best of luck! Hope the others stay healthy!

Back
Top Bottom