drought in west

beccahahn

Hatching
Jun 25, 2015
Hello--my name is becca. I have 2 American buff geese-6 weeks old- hand raised them since 3 days. Retired, and they travel with us. Big problem. Severe drought in high desert central oregon. No green grass. What do I feed them in lieu of suitable grazing?

Hello--my name is becca. I have 2 American buff geese-6 weeks old- hand raised them since 3 days. Retired, and they travel with us. Big problem. Severe drought in high desert central oregon. No green grass. What do I feed them in lieu of suitable grazing?
Sorry to hear about the drought pretty much happening here but not as bad but lack of rain has really hurt any grass from growing. I know in winter alot buy soft grass like Timothy for their geese to eat. has to be soft grasses though.
I buy romaine lettuce, chopped kale, chopped collards I have never used Alfalfa though i understand geese don't care for it. also there is fodder if you have a place to grow it. There are several treads here on BYC about it Type growing fodder in the search at top of page. any time you give greens or other grains etc be sure to offer grit.
forgot to mention water melon and grapes mine love them grapes I cut in half water melon I cut in half and stand back and watch them devour it.
Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
Sorry, i am still learning how to navigate this site and missed anyonrs reply to my questipn a few days afo.I didn't realize this got so busy so i missed any replys to my questuon. Do i have Black Austrolorps with brown on them or what do i have?This site only went back 20 hours ago.

Sorry, i am still learning how to navigate this site and missed anyonrs reply to my questipn a few days afo.I didn't realize this got so busy so i missed any replys to my questuon. Do i have Black Austrolorps with brown on them or what do i have?This site only went back 20 hours ago.
Welcome to BYC
if your interested in finding out the breed you have go to this Thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

This is the goose thread and even though many of us have chickens the breed thread would give you quicker response be sure to post pics of your birds too that will help.

Back
Top Bottom