Integrating lone duckling

freeworld4all

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Hello everyone. I really hope I can get some seasoned advice here. Knowing that I have Runner Ducks someone dropped off a pretty little crested runner at my house. I'd guess she is about 6 weeks old, just starting to get her pin feathers. I'd like to integrate her into my flock, 8 girls and 2 boys, but I'm afraid some abuse might take place. I'm in a wheelchair and wouldn't be able to come to her rescue is my concern. She still has the very loud peep-peep-peep so I'm wondering if the flock wouldn't be too mean to her and maybe some of the hens motherly instincts might kick in. I've seen a drake attack a very small duckling before but that could have been due to other dynamics that were out of balance at the time. And of course since is a only child she has imprinted on me! Does anyone have any suggestions??

Main one - do not put her in with the adults.

She can be in a pen next to them, where they can all see each other, but introductions need to be slow, and wait till she is at least as tall as the others.

Have someone who can intervene be there when you do - and don't expect it to work well the first time or five.

Slow, step-by-step approach is likely to work - her little life is at stake if you don't take it slowly and carefully.

Thank you Amiga for your suggestions. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I just remebered that my email has changed and I wasn't getting my notices from BYC! I definitely agree with everything you suggested and am slowly moving in that direction. I wish that people would understand that buying one duck is a bad idea for so many reasons, but will do my best to make the best of the situation. The worst part is that she had been a indoor pet so the transition outsidewas a little hard on her wanting constant companionship. Hard on me too empathizing with her situation. The good news is she is growing rapidly and it will be just a few more weeks before she can join the herd. And you better believe I'll have someone protecting her all the while! Thanks again for replying.

Well, there are a number of corners we can paint ourselves into with ducks . . . For example I have a more labor-intensive routine right now because I did not anticipate needing to keep the flock split in two for months at a time due to personality conflict.

But you are putting her well-being first, and it's going to be fine, from the sound of it.

Take care and thanks very much for responding.

I have to tell a cute story about this little girl. She had never experienced rain before yesterday so I was very curious to see how she was going to react to it. It was so adorable, I've never seen a duck even remotely act this way. She sat back on her hauches, leaned her head back with her beak towards the sky/rain falling and slowly closed her eyes, periodically opening them and then closing them again. She seemed to be experiencing complete bliss. It reminded me of how we humans react to the first warm sunny day after a long winter. It was just precious!!

I am curious Amiga, what has prompted your need to separate your flock?

Long story, but it boils down to - Bean the drake is obsessed with Romy. Like, really fixated. To the point that Romy really doesn't like his attention. She would be happy to mate with him sometimes, and has. But then he gets nuts and just holds on to the back of her neck and pads on her back for minutes at a time - not mating. I think he's trying to prove something….

So, Bean and two Buff girls are one flock, Romy and the Runners are another - except for the deep of winter, when they do not seem to have this problem.

I wondered if it had something to do with an overly amorous drake, lol. Something I learned by experience is that there is something to be said for having a balanced hen to drake ratio. When I had 4 hens to 2 drakes (not my choice, just worked out that way) one drake would constantly mate with all 4 hens really exhausting them, never letting the other male get any action. It was like he was constantly reinforcing his territory. I decided to get 4 more hens and lo and behold everyone was happy. The lesser drake finally got a chance to mate and the other drake chilled out into a normal mating pattern. The hens weren't laying very well before under the stressfull conditions, but now they lay like crazy! I found it very interesting.

Poor Romy! My Brownie gets chased down more than the other girls because she just doesn't want to submit!! Always interesting....

Back
Top Bottom