duckling imprinting

lilduckling

Hatching
Jun 26, 2015
Eastern Los Angeles County
how do i know if my duckling imprinted me? it follows me when i walk but at very delayed periods. i saw my mom put her hand down on the floor in front of the duckling and it waddles onto her hand and rests, but when i try to do it the duckling doesn't know what to do and looks around or stands idle and then bites my fingers. the duckling doesn't seem to be very fond of me. are there any tips on what i can do?

just keep spending time with the duckie :) she'll change as time goes by there is even a teen stage where they don't seem to like anyone but they do they just have instincts and they develop as they grow. our ducklings seem to like our youngest daughter the most they follow her everywhere and are not afraid of anything she does and she's a 1 year old with a crazy adventurous personality. don't give up though the more time you spend with her the closer you'll all be :)

oh and thawed frozen peas are a favorite of every duck I've ever met treat time could become a bonding time and she'll associate you with food and ducks love food! check out the ultimate list of treats and supplements for ducks

yup we buy a frozen bag I normally fill a bowl then put cool water let them sit for an hour or 2 till they're unfrozen or put the bag in the fridge over night. in the beginning when they were young I'd only give them a handful a day :) let me find the page that talks about treats I'll post it here for you there are also lots of things not to feed them and some things you'll be surprised you can.y babies love romaine lettuce, and peas for everyday treats and watermelon for every once in a while.since fruits are high in sugar you don't want them having them too too much :)

how old is your duckie? you'll want to.make sure to.mash the treats up.in the beginning just to be sure she doesn't choke and always make sure water is available and grit too that helps them break up the food.since they don't.have teeth :) we used dirt from outside ducks that are outdoors will naturally pick up dirt and very small rocks to use as grit :) the guy at the feed store gave me a very strange look when I asked for grit for my duck.haha but it.is.very important they have it if eating anything other than feed :) here's the link have fun reading it so.much awesome info put.into a beautiful design https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

They are 5 week old mallards. So I should mash up the peas? And thaw them out in water. Lol oops, I boiled them and didn't mash them. No wonder they only picked at them and only ate a little. And grit... This grit thing has gotten me a little stressed out. I am assuming there's some in their feed. But should I have a little bowl of just grit available to them too for when they have a snack like peas or what about the bugs they are constantly eating? I have them in a pen that has a cement bottom, hog fence with chicken wire all the way to the top and a roof. So some insects get in and some sand or dirt, not much sand and dirt by any means, but a little.

haha perfect so glad it worked out with the peas 5 weeks you shouldn't have to smash it up but if they like it hey why not right! try giving them a romaine lettuce stock mine go crazy tearing it apart so fun to.watch! I would collect some dirt into a bowl and leave it in their pin they will take what they need I know I stressed over the grit thing too but mine have never had a problem they pretty much have access to dirt all day and love eating puddles of mud haha

did you hand feed them or have it in a bowl? I love hand feeding them we've been working on jumping and coming when called I'll stand away hold out my hand and make clicking noises and say their names and they run over to me like there's no tomorrow that has helped them to.want to follow me around the yard as well, they are getting more squeamish when I got to pet them and will only let me give them loves if I'm holding them but I know they love me haha

Back
Top Bottom