Missing from the nest... Where did the chick go? Where did the egg go?

starkist72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Will the mother hen consume a dead chick?

I had 2 broodies sitting on the same nest with 6 eggs, We ended up with 3 chicks. Then I noticed an egg was missing, as well as the eggshells the chicks hatched from. What could have happened to that egg? Do you think it stating hatching, died and was consumed?

One of the chicks had some intestines or something sticking out, and was looking more and more tired. I gave it some water but stuck it back under the mommas figuring they'd do better than I do. Last night I realized that chick was nowhere to be found.

It's a closed coop and run, I didn't see any sign of predators (although, who knows) any ideas?

It's just weird. when the egg was missing i checked the fridge, i thought maybe we grabbed it by mistake. but then realized if it broke they may have eaten it. and the shells they hatched from are gone too... maybe they're just keeping a really clean nest?

I wouldn't have been shocked if that chick died, I've had a few that had similar issues and didn't make it (and a few that did) but where on earth did it go?!?!

I have many chickens. And when we have chicks we separate the mum and babies from the rest of the flock. Because sometimes a hen can go in the wrong nest or just see something moving and go look. Then the hen can start pecking at it. It can get peck and thrown out of the nest. Once one chicken has seen it the rest get interested and then the whole flock can be pecking and running around with a chick. And sadly it will get pecked to death and there won't be much of it. It is horrible but it does happen :(

Or the other possibility is a rat. It could of gotten it

I immediately thought snake.. They can squeeze their bodies in the smallest holes. Hmmm I'll be interested to see what it is

Hmmm,, interesting combination of clues, missing egg, missing chick, missing shells. My first guess would be snake or rat. Snakes will eat chicks and eggs both. So will rats, although generally if they can get to the feed they will USUALLY leave the chicks alone. Not always though. Missing shells,,, that is the odd clue,, that could be the hens or rats,, hens will eat shells for the calcium and rats will cart away just about anything for winter storage. Lastly it could have even been the hens with the chick,, they can be quite canibalistic sometimes.

I'm guessing the hens. sometimes broodies get posessive and fight over the chicks, resulting in a tug of war, or chick getting stomped. Injured or dead chick = snack. Also, the chick had a hernia, which made it less than sound to start with. If the egg had issues, they very well could have consumed that. Hens will eat the shells after hatch, just as a lot of mammals will eat the placentas to replenish lost nutrients.

I'm guessing the hens. sometimes broodies get posessive and fight over the chicks, resulting in a tug of war, or chick getting stomped. Injured or dead chick = snack. Also, the chick had a hernia, which made it less than sound to start with. If the egg had issues, they very well could have consumed that. Hens will eat the shells after hatch, just as a lot of mammals will eat the placentas to replenish lost nutrients.
Would a hen eat the bones, though? I had hens boot a broody off of the nest once, and they killed four of her chicks and ate one. The one they ate was cleaned out, though, like they picked out the middle starting at the rectum and left the bones, head, skin, and feathers.

Back
Top Bottom