Turkey gone fishing

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
I was wondering if one could feed turkeys fish? And should it be cooked or raw? What I was considering to feed them is tilapia. They are almost 8 weeks old.

Turkeys will eat about anything they can get in their mouth; lizards, snakes, salamanders, snails, slugs, just about every insect. Mine enjoy an occasionally left over meal of roast beef, if i was going to give fish I would cook it first but probably would not matter as long as fresh. In my world a heritage turkey is not if not eating wild protein when they find it.

Turkeys really aren't meat eaters. i wouldn't feed it to them raw.

Turkeys like chickens and all other birds have a gall bladder. Animals that don't eat meat don't have a gall bladder. I would agree to not feeding poultry raw meat but my reason is to not give them the taste of blood. Fresh blood can cause poultry to become cannibals if no other meat source is available.

Turkeys love meat and will catch, kill and eat things such as mice, voles, lizards, snakes and other small birds or animals.

Years ago on the cattle farm my father brought home a half ton full of frozen sucker fish.
It was in winter with temperature at or below minus 25 C.
We didn't know how to feed them to the cattle so what finally happened is we threw them in the grain mill with oats and ground them to chop.
Once the cows got a taste of it they loved it more then any other chop that just had grains.
Fish was raw and frozen thanks to the cold winters.
I can still remember the sound of the grain mill laboring when I fed it those whole frozen suckers.

Years ago on the cattle farm my father brought home a half ton full of frozen sucker fish.
It was in winter with temperature at or below minus 25 C.
We didn't know how to feed them to the cattle so what finally happened is we threw them in the grain mill with oats and ground them to chop.
Once the cows got a taste of it they loved it more then any other chop that just had grains.
Fish was raw and frozen thanks to the cold winters.
I can still remember the sound of the grain mill laboring when I fed it those whole frozen suckers.
You fed cows fish??? They are vegetarians...

The cows loved the fish chop more then any other.

Ungulates eat meat when the opportunity arises.
Here is a deer eating a rabbit.

And a deer eating fish.

Back
Top Bottom