we bought 5 orpingtons but they turned out to be leghorns

ofeycat123

Chirping
Mar 23, 2015
'' '' are leghorns any good for meat?
bow.gif

Leghorns are not a meaty breed, even when fully matured - so they are certainly edible, any chicken is, but won't provide a big meal. They would be wonderfully suited to preparations where meat is an ingredient rather than the main focus and the remaining parts could make a lovely stock.

That must have been a surprise.
smile.png

We've eaten leghorns before, but they have very, very little meat when compared to Orpingtons. They are excellent layers, and they make good broth. The meat still tastes good, they just don't give as much meat for the amount of food they eat.

Best of luck with your birds.

yuckyuck.gif

If they're pullets, and you don't want them, I'd far rather sell them than eat them. I could easily get $100 for 5 point of lay Leghorn pullets. That could either buy some nice Orp pullets, some Cornish meat birds, or take everyone out for a very nice dinner
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif

If they're pullets, and you don't want them, I'd far rather sell them than eat them. I could easily get $100 for 5 point of lay Leghorn pullets. That could either buy some nice Orp pullets, some Cornish meat birds, or take everyone out for a very nice dinner
lol.png
goodpost.gif
- excellent point.

That's pretty much exactly my thought, if they are pullets, sell or trade them to someone who wants some nice layers and raise some better suited for your needs. BTW, have you discussed the issue with the person who sold them to you in the first place? Someone shouldn't sell chickens under false lables and if they were advertised as Orphingtons, they should be willing to give you a refund or exchange.

Then again, I once purchased 4 turkey poults at the feed store, being told they were Broad Breasted White and they turned out to be Royal Palm. It was almost 18 weeks before I realized what I had (they were my first turkeys) and I was looking at them and thinking that there was no way they would be anywhere near butchering size by 20 weeks. The folks at the feed store simply shrugged and said "the hatchery has never sent us Royal Palms in their "hatchery choice" selection before", and suggested that I had received a great deal since RP were usually more expensive than BBW poults.

They were delicious, but a lot of cost per pound. That's been my experience with DP roosters too. They seem a bargain at first but the amount of feed and time you have to put into them is hardly worth it.

Back
Top Bottom