Rooster picking on one new hen in particular

Mitfordsmom

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Notts, England
Well I've broken every rule in the book if I go by what I've been reading about introducing new chickens to a flock. I had one bantam cockerel, under a year old. One booted bantam, 2 rhode island reds and two marans. One of the Rhode Islands is the boss but the cockerel does a good job looking after his ladies. I fell for a sob story and agreed to re-home 3 silkies and 2 bantams. One of the bantams and one of the silkies have integrated well and the cockerel seems to adore them but the other two silkies and the white bantam hide away from the rest of the flock. My cat was really poorly for a while (he sadly passed away) so I didn't spend the time I normally would making sure everyone was integrating. To my shame I have realised that the cockerel has been attacking the poor little white bantam. He does not try to mate with her, she crouches when she sees him but he just attacks her head with his beak and claws - he makes no attempt at mating. She had some bad cuts on her head. I have sectioned off a piece of the run and this evening I have put the cockerel in it on his own to see if it calms him down and gives the white bantam some confidence along with the silkies.
How long should I keep the cockerel separated? Will the flock ever accept the white bantam or should I consider re-homing her and her two silkie friends, they are so sweet but at the end of the day, their safety is more important and I hate the thoughts of them living in fear. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry about your cat.
sad.png

Silkies are easily bullied, as they are docile, slow, and fluffy little things. I would suggest separating the silkies out into a pen of their own for a few weeks, where they can see but not interact with the others, then retry the introduction. Treat the cuts with some antibiotic ointment and keep them clean so she can heal up.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom