Duckling separation

my4birds

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
I have a duckling that is a few days old that we took from the nest after the moms left him there only a few hours after coming out of the shell. He is now attached to me and whenever I try to put him back outside with his mothers and siblings, he runs back to me and chirps very loudly. I'm not sure how to get him used to living outside because I would like him to live with the other ducks. Any suggestions?

If you want him to live with other ducks that may be problematic.If it keeps running back to you he thinks your his mother and seeing as when he was abandoned and in your care he had no siblings he may not think he's a duck but a human. This isn't necessarily bad unless your really bent on not raising him yourself. Though I would NOT put him outside and just leave him, chances are he'll just become somethings snack. If you really want him with other ducks I'd find an wildlife rehabilitation center and tell them you have him. But I'd be careful, if his mother left there may be something wrong with him and them may kill him if so. If you cant find a center you can raise him yourself and once he's big enough just put him outside with food, water and maybe a dog house. After all thats pretty much how I got my baby boy and he's quite happy.

If you want him to live with other ducks that may be problematic.If it keeps running back to you he thinks your his mother and seeing as when he was abandoned and in your care he had no siblings he may not think he's a duck but a human. This isn't necessarily bad unless your really bent on not raising him yourself. Though I would NOT put him outside and just leave him, chances are he'll just become somethings snack. If you really want him with other ducks I'd find an wildlife rehabilitation center and tell them you have him. But I'd be careful, if his mother left there may be something wrong with him and them may kill him if so. If you cant find a center you can raise him yourself and once he's big enough just put him outside with food, water and maybe a dog house. After all thats pretty much how I got my baby boy and he's quite happy.
Okay thank you! We want to raise him and take care of him but we'd like if he could stay outside but if doesn't like it then we will keep him indoors with us

I'm glad you want to raise him. Believe me its a lot of work but very rewarding! He may start running away if you walk towards but don't be upset that's just instinct of 'run from big thing looming over me' and it means he's got so sense. If you take him outside everyday for a few hours and let him forge and play he'll happily live outside. As he gets older start leaving him by himself, in a pen if you like, to get used to being outside alone. Also you can get like a paint tin you run paint rollers through for him to start learning to swim. Oh and watch his feet! If they start pointing inwards he may have a niacin deficiency so watch out for that. But otherwise have fun with your peepy little baby!

Bring in one or two of the other duckings and brood them as normal. That will give him a friend or two so he's not lonely.
If mom is agreeable, you may be able to put him (and his new friends) back out with them after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom