Egg disappeared from under broody hen

Farmgirl0422

Chirping
Apr 18, 2015
Central Oregon
Hello! We have a very broody hen right now with her 11 day old eggs and something very weird happened this afternoon. She had 3 eggs that we had candled last night and two of the eggs looked nice and healthy and the last one seemed dead so we took the dead one out and left the other two. Then we came out the next afternoon and looked under her and POOF! She only had one egg and no trace of the second egg. We continued the search of the egg that was missing for about 10 minutes and found no shell no yolk no nothing. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone have and explanation or and idea of what happened to this second egg?
Thanks for any help!
smile.png

Last edited:
That is strange.

I'm sure you searched really well, but could the egg possibly just be hidden off in a corner of the nest or under some hay? Could she be tucking it up under her wing?
Other chickens and predators sometimes do take eggs, though there should be signs of that and a predator that wouldn't leave a sign, like a snake, would be attacked by the hen.

Best of luck!

Yes GitaBooks. I had the same thought about her maybe tucking it up in her wing but i came back to check on her this morning and still couldn't find the second egg or any trace of it? I have heard of a broody hen eating her own egg for nutrition before and leaving no trace of it. Do you think that has happened??

I had an egg-eater leghorn that broke and ate eggs in nest boxes. There is almost always at least a little "goo" left over, and while they do eat the shell there may be little pieces of it.
With chickens it seems that anything is possible.
smile.png

I sympathise, I too have a broody hen sitting on 10 eggs and today there are 7. No sign of any debris, goo or shells around the nest or in the hen house. Where did the three eggs go? I feel like getting a web cam for the chook house!!!

did you find out what was taking your eggs? I too have a broody chook who is was sitting on 10 eggs and now there are 7. No sign of any shells or goo anywhere. Where did they go?

I too have disappearing eggs. My chook was sitting on 10 and now there are 7, No sign of shell or goo anywhere. Where do they go?

Back
Top Bottom