Silly chickens refuse treats!

vigorle

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
My chickens are so picky. They are about 10 weeks old and they refuse to eat anything except chicken feed, which has to be in a feeder. They won't eat it off the ground, even when I scatter it on our patio. They will eat green weeds from my yard, but nothing else. I've offered them everything. They peck once and walk away. I would really like to teach them to come when I call them, but I am
going to need them to eat something tasty for that. Am I the only chicken mom with such picky birds???

Last edited:
It is funny that you mention this. I give my girls meal worms and they love it and they will devour some cheese. But almost everything else other then their food, they just snub it. Grapes, bread, apricots, berrys, watermellon! Picky little ones!

My chickens are so picky. They are about 10 weeks old and they refuse to eat anything except chicken feed, which has to be in a feeder. They won't eat it off the ground, even when I scatter it on our patio. They will eat green weeds from my yard, but nothing else. I've offered them everything. They peck once and walk away. I would really like to teach them to come when I call them, but I am
going to need them to eat something tasty for that. Am I the only chicken mom with such picky birds???

I make a few scrambled eggs mixed with oatmeal, and sit in with them, throwing small bits out to them and saying softly, "yummy!" to draw them in closer. Eventually, they are all over me when they figure out how delicious the mix is, and they get very excited if I use that word or have a bowl.

Assuming your juvies like the mix, throw in some chopped apple bits. Then, apples and chopped up other fruits/ veggies alone. Doing this, I got our chickens to eat things like shredded carrots. They won't eat regular carrots, but shredded with eggs, they will about take off your hand for a bit. lol

I'm thinking it's their age. At least that's the way I have felt with mine. They have been picky but now they are starting to try some new things. We tried meal worms, grapes, strawberries...they didn't like them. Then I tried again and they are changing their tune on some things. Also, I gave them watermelon the other day and they ate it. Apple bits was a no go for them. I think they will change their mind with time.

My chickens (13 weeks) are picky also. Actually I think they're more suspicious than picky. Anything new that comes their way is cause for lots of squawking and conversation. But they come around. I gave them their first juicy seedy cucumber yesterday and they avoided it like the plague. But a of couple of hours later it was all but gone. Cantaloupe and watermelon .... huge hit. And tender lettuce from the garden. I have planted in pots in their run some lettuce, herbs, kale, peas, and chamomile. They have completely devoured the lettuce, they pick at the herbs and the pea leaves. They love the chamomile, but it took them about 4 days before they would go near the pots. The two things I've tried to no avail are strawberries and apples. Chickens are fun.

That's a good thing, especially at that age. Chicken feed is nutritionally complete. Supplementing other things will offset that balanced nutrition.
Until they see another chicken eats something, they're wary of anything new.
To come when you call, I'd try some mealworms and clicker training.

Well this is the funny thing...they will not eat meal worms and are scared of live worms:/ I'll just give it some time I suppose:)

Back
Top Bottom