Medicated feed.

Free Feather

Songster
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Do turkey poults really need medicated feed? And if so, why? The guy I have make my feed was flipping when I told him not to medicate my turkey grower. I figured they would develop their own immune system stronger if they were not medicated.

I've never had poults, but my chicks don't get medicated food (at least I hope they don't. It doesn't say so on the bag) and they do fine. They've never needed it. They develop healthy immune systems and are hardy and full of energy.
In my opinion, if birds start showing signs of being sick than they should be treated, putting them on medication to prevent problems just makes the viruses/bacteria/parasites build up resistance.
However, I understand why people use it. Coccidia takes birds really fast, sometimes so fast you can't treat them, which is why people use preventative medicine.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
I think coccidia is most likely to effect baby birds when they are in the brooder. Outdoors they aren't eating, drinking and standing in their next to their own droppings and so they don't get overloaded by all shed coccidia oocysts. I've never had a coccidia problem in my flock though (and I hope I never do
fl.gif
) , so I can't be sure.

Medicated feed is the product of factory farming.
Very large amount of birds in a confined closed room where sickness is going to happen.

Good husbandry is the key to happiness.

Medicated feed is the product of factory farming.
Very large amount of birds in a confined closed room where sickness is going to happen.

Good husbandry is the key to happiness.
That is what I figured, especially since most of the sources insisting you must do it is universities and feed companies for confined systems.

Back
Top Bottom