Rubber eggs

Havencresteggs

Hatching
Jun 30, 2015
I have two Rhode Island Reds that are 2 years old. One keeps laying rubber eggs(egg without a shell) the last two weeks. I have been putting oyster shell in their feed the past month because I would see an occasional rubber egg previous to this. I put a container of egg shell and grit in their coop that they have access to at all times. What should I do?

I have two Rhode Island Reds that are 2 years old.  One keeps laying rubber eggs(egg without a shell) the last two weeks.  I have been putting oyster shell in their feed the past month because I would see an occasional rubber egg previous to this.  I put a container of egg shell and grit in their coop that they have access to at all times.  What should I do?

Just because it is there does not mean they are eating it. When I notice the need is there I have my wife boil up some eggs, smash them up good, shells and all, and feed it to the hens. The hens love it and any shell thinness goes away quickly. Another member mentioned the importance of sunlight in absorbing calcium on another thread. More sun? Best wishes.

Thank you for your response. Do you worry about them becoming egg eaters if you feed them their shells and eggs? Do you mix it in with their food or feed it to them separately? Can you use eggs other than their own? I keep them under a sun shade since it is so hot now. I think they get sun reflected off everything else. Thanks again.

Thank you for your response.  Do you worry about them becoming egg eaters if you feed them their shells and eggs?  Do you mix it in with their food or feed it to them separately?  Can you use eggs other than their own?  I keep them under a sun shade since it is so hot now.  I think they get sun reflected off everything else.  Thanks again.

When the eggs is HARD boiled and smashed up good they are not recognized as "eggs". I have never had chickens become egg eaters from feeding this. Never feed raw or even soft boiled eggs. When I think about the egg eaters I have had in the past it has always been the result of accidentally breaking an egg thereby learning the bad habit. I feed the boiled egg separately; any not eaten in a short time I remove; especially during warm weather. Any fresh eggs can be used.

Back
Top Bottom