Duck with yolk sac still attached!! Please help!

chrissillmusic

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
I have a duck egg that pipped but never started zipping after 36 hours so I thought I'd help it out (which I learned later was a bad idea). He ended up having a little bit of a yolk sac still attached to him. He's doing fine and he's chirping and even walking but the yolk sac doesn't seem to be getting smaller. Should I cut it off or let it absorb? Thanks in advance!

I have a duck egg that pipped but never started zipping after 36 hours so I thought I'd help it out (which I learned later was a bad idea). He ended up having a little bit of a yolk sac still attached to him. He's doing fine and he's chirping and even walking but the yolk sac doesn't seem to be getting smaller. Should I cut it off or let it absorb? Thanks in advance!
Mine had its full egg sac to absorb, I washed it with iodine solution and made sure the bedding stayed clean and within a few hours it absorbed it. So definitely leave it to absorb as they usually do just fine.

Last edited:
Mine had its full egg sac to absorb, I washed it with iodine solution and made sure the bedding stayed clean and within a few hours it absorbed it. So definitely leave it to absorb as they usually do just fine. 

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't made much progress on absorbing it, is there anything I can do to help him?

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't made much progress on absorbing it, is there anything I can do to help him?
I'm not sure. Because mine absorbed it quickly, I didn't look further into it. I would still give it a bit longer before worrying :)

I used this stuff
11246979_10202745350274521_2283544231678869202_n.jpg

This was my ducking
11219375_10202744886182919_5214187302984341980_n.jpg

I just tied off the yolk sac from where it connects to the belly button because it was spilling out the yolk. Is there anything I can do?...

There wasn't enough yolk sac in the photo to be an issue (the little orangey knob). But based on the size of the herniated navel, he looked like a candidate to spill his intestines. Is that what happened?

There wasn't enough yolk sac in the photo to be an issue (the little orangey knob).  But based on the size of the herniated navel, he looked like a candidate to spill his intestines.  Is that what happened?

No, sorry that was a picture of another persons duck, not mine.

Back
Top Bottom