Do serama chicks need special care in brooder?

mlbuttercup

Chirping
May 24, 2015
Leesport, PA
Hi, My Seramas are starting to hatch. Should have been better prepared but I still have questions. Since Seramas are so small do they need special food and are wood chips safe for the brooder? I think I read something about losing chicks because they ate wood chips. Any other special care? Temperature?

I've never kept Seramas myself, but I have worked with bantams and have done a little research.
Little chicks can be delicate to falls or chills. Keep the brooder, upon hatching, small enough that they can easily find food, water, and the heat light at first but can escape the heat if need be. I would suggest paper towels for the first couple weeks, as they can easily find food on it, it is easy to clean, and they can easily grip it with their little toe nails.
Waterers should be those used for quail, so they don't drown or catch a chill in them.
Small seramas can't eat pellets made for chickens, so crumble or mash should be given, and if grit is supplied or treats they must be finely ground.

Best of luck with this adorable breed!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom