Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
Yes, I should have said the one gallon jug. I don't have chickens, but it's been large enough for me to use on a Silver Appleyard drake, which should be as big as any chicken you'll want to do. Of course, ducks have kind of long necks. I just shove their head into the jug while holding their wings close to their body with the other arm. Then I reach up into the bottom of the jug and grab their bill and pull down while guiding the body and wings into the top. Once the head is out I use a very sharp knife to cut their throat and they bleed out into the bucket I put under their before the whole process got started. It doesn't take long at all and they are very calm and quiet while it is happening. They don't like getting put into the jug but once there they get very quiet.

I showed this process to my cousin from South Louisiana who was raised killing chickens with a hatchet on a stump, and then letting them run around bleeding everywhere afterwards. He was amazed at how easy it was and how well it worked. He went home and told all his friends about it and they were just in awe. A lowly vinegar jug.....But it does make the whole process much easier and calmer, and there are no broken wings or damaged body parts.
there are youtube videos that demonstrate the same thing as you wrote so if there is any questions it's easy to find Polyface farms have several videos on the steps on how to process a chicken. it is shown on a large scale as a tour so it's broken up in several seperate parts, but it's well worthwhile.

I just processed my first chicken yesterday. We have our chickens for eggs and we got a rooster that was supposed to have been a hen. We kept him for a while, but as he matured he became too aggressive. We decided to eat him before he attacked one of our kids or their friends. My husband and I had a deal that if he killed it I would clean it. It went mostly how the pictures described, but I think I had my hot water dunk too hot. We didn't use a thermometer and we really should have. I think I partially cooked my bird in the dunk process. The skin was thick and rubbery. When I was trying to eviscerate him it was very tough cutting. Could the hot water have been my problem? He was right at a year old so I was thinking age could have been part of the issue as well. Any thoughts? We are eating him tonight in chicken and dumplings and the meat tastes great . But, I am hoping to perfect the processing part so it goes smoother next time.

The olde
I just processed my first chicken yesterday. We have our chickens for eggs and we got a rooster that was supposed to have been a hen. We kept him for a while, but as he matured he became too aggressive. We decided to eat him before he attacked one of our kids or their friends. My husband and I had a deal that if he killed it I would clean it. It went mostly how the pictures described, but I think I had my hot water dunk too hot. We didn't use a thermometer and we really should have. I think I partially cooked my bird in the dunk process. The skin was thick and rubbery. When I was trying to eviscerate him it was very tough cutting. Could the hot water have been my problem? He was right at a year old so I was thinking age could have been part of the issue as well. Any thoughts? We are eating him tonight in chicken and dumplings and the meat tastes great . But, I am hoping to perfect the processing part so it goes smoother next time.
The older the roo, the tougher the cutting. I've never done one a year old, but I can tell the difference between a 25 week old roo and a 35 week old roo, much less an 8 week old meat bird.

At what age are most ready to process if I want them for meals? My kids jokingly say we got a handful of nuggets now lol. My two oldest are 4 months still cannot determine sex or breeds but im guessing at holland roo and buff orphington hen. And my chicks are 1 mo and some at 2 wks so I know its gonna be a bit but what is a good age for dinner table? By the time I need to serve on for dinner I hope to be set in a new house.

I am so glad I found this! I have a few roosters that need to be processed and I've been so lost on how to do it! The pictures are so helpful and now I have a good reference point when I'm really ready to process! Thank you!!!

I grab them, tie them to the chopping block, and lop heads off. That's just my way to do it, but I teach others to do it this way.

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I got thru my first one today...by myself. It was not as traumatic as I thought it would be. The cone helped with that I think. I bought a traffice cone at TSC and cut enough off the top to make about 4" opening. I turned it upside down and attached it to the railing of the deck. It worked great! Took me about an hour to process and I had a little trouble getting the innards out. I guess I expected them to be loose, but you really have to work the connective tissue loose to get everything out. I also had a bit of trouble with getting the cavity clean after removing the innards, but discovered that the luttle metal thing for removing the tops from strawberries workd great! Here is my finished product. Nt too bad for the first time...
woot.gif

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I got thru my first one today...by myself. It was not as traumatic as I thought it would be. The cone helped with that I think. I bought a traffice cone at TSC and cut enough off the top to make about 4" opening. I turned it upside down and attached it to the railing of the deck. It worked great! Took me about an hour to process and I had a little trouble getting the innards out. I guess I expected them to be loose, but you really have to work the connective tissue loose to get everything out. I also had a bit of trouble with getting the cavity clean after removing the innards, but discovered that the luttle metal thing for removing the tops from strawberries workd great! Here is my finished product. Nt too bad for the first time...
woot.gif

Wonderful job! It gives me hope, as I plan to do butchering for the very first time this year! I'll look into the cones at TSC. Thanks. BTW, what breed is your bird? Looks good.

Back
Top Bottom