Minus 3F Degrees What's cookin' on my cast iron woodstove? Breakfast!

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I have been up since just after 4am. It is crazy cold here in Central Virginia. The fires are raging at full tilt and I can't even count the number time I have loaded them this morning.

1996_minusthree.jpg

My house is toasty warm. My family is in the stages of some still sleeping and some starting to move around.

This is the kind of day where we all will need a good meal to get us going. The animals will need extra attention this morning and I don't want to freeze to death trying to give them the care they need.

I don't plan to waste energy so I am harnessing the power of my little wood stove in the kitchen.

The breakfast menu is rounding itself out nicely.

Pan fried sausages
Eggs
Pancakes
Coffee
Milk

The kids will have one of several frozen berries with whipped cream on their pancakes.

1996_woostove.jpg

Cast Iron is my friend. As long as I can get a fire going we'll eat good!

I agree...cast iron is our friend. 4 years ago we were without electricity for over a week the first week of January due to an ice storm. If it hadn't been for our faithful wood stove which we heat with all the time anyway, we'd have had to eat a lot of cold sandwiches!!

well I dont have a wood stove, wish I did but we will be having pancakes on the electric griddle my mom gave me last year and some left over for older son to make egg sandwiches. Ive been sick for a couple days and he's had to fend for himself so at least he can get himself breakfast for a couple days.

I like to make a challenge out of it during the winter. I test myself and see just what I can do on this little stove. So far I have managed to feed us very well and not burn anything.

Steaks cooked on a screaming hot cast iron pan are the BEST I have ever eaten.

Hey, it's 9 here - we are west of Richmond. I agree this is not normal for VA. I just posted on another thread one of our roos got frost bite.
sad.png

Breakfast sounds good, on my way over!!!!!
wink.png

Susan

Got our wood stove going too. I think I've stocked it up at least once a day since late September. I didn't cook breakfast on it though. I blended up my protein shake and downed it before anyone else was up and moving this morning.

Back
Top Bottom