Swollen leg joint - can chickens break their legs? with picture

MsMarbles&Me

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I have a 16 week old silver wyandotte who was hopping around standing on one leg, but mostly sitting. I took her inside and put her in a shallow box with food and water thinking it was no big deal - she'd
probably be better in a day or two and then she'd go back outside.

She seems very content to sit in her box (that she could easily fly
out). When we go visit her, she stands up to greet us but always
holds up that leg. I've examined her foot many times - it is perfectly
clean with sign of injury, swelling, or discoloration.

It's been 6 days now.

Today I got my husband to help me examine her again and now it's obvious one leg joint is much bigger than the other and she's keeping her toes curled on that leg. She can't put any weight on it at all.

Picture shows the size difference, although it's much more apparent to feel it. The lower one is bigger:
16617_dsc07637.jpg

Did she break a leg? Or is this a genetic defect?

If so what do I do? If she's not going to heal and is a lot of pain, how do I put her out of her misery if that is the right thing to do?

I'm quite sad but want some advice and to do the right thing.

PS By the way, at about 6 weeks when I moved her and 3 others outside from their brooder, she and one other fell ill with Coccidiosis and she nearly died (the other one was a silkie and she did die). So
perhaps she is weak from that. Since then, she has been extremely
mellow, tame, and of course - the kids favorite.

It could be a vitamin deficiency such as riboflavin, vitamin D and/or vitamin E. I would try giving her some vitamins for several days. These are sold at farm store in powdered packets of vitamins and electrolytes for chickens. They only cost a couple of bucks. You add it right to the water.

It may be infectious synovitis but it is hard to say. It also may be a staff infection. Is her foot pad swollen at all? Are there any cuts on her foot or any open sores?

Yes chickens can break their leg, does her joint feel like it is lose? It doesn't exactly look like a broken leg.

If it were me I would go with the vitamins at first and see if it helps.

The first day I gave her yogurt and oats first, then the last of the purina layer feed. Since then I've given her the new organic layer feed I just got from Countryside Naturals in VA, some organic scratch grains, and a very rare kitchen scrap (maybe a couple pieces of bread and a couple pieces of canteloupe just today).

So before this happened about a week ago, her feed was Purina Layena. Prior to that bag it was Countryside, and prior to that it was probably what TSC sells. I keep trying out this countryside organic product, but wondering if it's worth the extra $$.

I noticed some past posts mentioned polyvisol so I'm going to get some of that when I go to the store.

Any suggestions?

Both legs felt warm because she sits on them all day. The hurt one didn't feel any warmer than the other. The pads of her feet look and feel the same.

Well in the summer they can round up their own 'organic' feed. I tried it once and it seemed like it was all fluffy and the chickens couldn't eat it unless I added water.

I have a Barred Rock pullet that has been going through the exact same thing. She just came up lame one day out of the blue. We brought her in the house for about a month. She has a wonderful appetite and got to where she was hobbling around pretty good. The same joint is swollen as in your chicken. Feet look fine. We finally put her back out with the other chickens and she is still lame but can run and jump when she needs to. The rest of the flock is fine so I don't know what happened to cause it. I just figured she had hurt it. I don't know what caused it but she seems to be getting along fine.

We also feed Purina Layena and scratch grains along with bread, bananas, cooked broccoli, oranges. and the occasional leftover spaghetti noodles which is fun to watch them eat.

It has been a couple of months since she became lame and I couldn't cull her for the world. My daughter hatched her and three others in a home made incubator and they are big pets. Just give yours the chance and she may come out of it OK.

I have a 16 week old silver wyandotte who was hopping around standing on one leg, but mostly sitting. I took her inside and put her in a shallow box with food and water thinking it was no big deal - she'd
probably be better in a day or two and then she'd go back outside.

She seems very content to sit in her box (that she could easily fly
out). When we go visit her, she stands up to greet us but always
holds up that leg. I've examined her foot many times - it is perfectly
clean with sign of injury, swelling, or discoloration.

It's been 6 days now.

Today I got my husband to help me examine her again and now it's obvious one leg joint is much bigger than the other and she's keeping her toes curled on that leg. She can't put any weight on it at all.

Picture shows the size difference, although it's much more apparent to feel it. The lower one is bigger:
16617_dsc07637.jpg

Did she break a leg? Or is this a genetic defect?

If so what do I do? If she's not going to heal and is a lot of pain, how do I put her out of her misery if that is the right thing to do?

I'm quite sad but want some advice and to do the right thing.

PS By the way, at about 6 weeks when I moved her and 3 others outside from their brooder, she and one other fell ill with Coccidiosis and she nearly died (the other one was a silkie and she did die). So
perhaps she is weak from that. Since then, she has been extremely
mellow, tame, and of course - the kids favorite.
I know it has been a while since your original post, but I have a Buff Orpington hen with the exact same symptoms now. I was wondering how your chicken is doing and if you found anything that helped the condition. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom