My first experiance with giving a chicken a bath (pic heavy)!!!

wolfbaine30

Crazy Rooster
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Blue Ridge,Georgia
Ok. Now this is my very first time of giving a chicken a bath.....ever. Now the little guy in the pic(at least I think is a guy),is Zack,our Delaware.Its butt fluff looked a little on the ragged side so I decided to try giving it a bath.So here I go looking up on BYC on how to give a chicken a bath,found real good info,and went to work. I got the water ready with a cap full of dog shampoo in it and went and got my boy.
The post I read said that it would relax the chicken and it would enjoy it,but I was in no way prepared for what was about to happen.I slowly eased the bird down in the water and it didnt protest.So I got the cup and started to pore the water slowly between its shoulder blades. Then as I was pouring its neck feathers started to raise on end,and i was thinking I was about to have a very mad chicken on my hands. Then the wierdest thing happened........it turned in to jello and layed down on its side.
lol.png
lol.png
lau.gif
lau.gif
I was as I hollered for my DGF to come see what this bird was doing.Good for us she brought her camera and took pics.I hope yall enjoy....

9926_pictures_217.jpg

9926_pictures_218.jpg

9926_pictures_219.jpg

9926_pictures_220.jpg

9926_pictures_221.jpg

9926_pictures_224.jpg

9926_pictures_225.jpg

And of course the drying process..
big_smile.png

9926_pictures_228.jpg

9926_pictures_232.jpg

9926_pictures_233.jpg

9926_pictures_231.jpg

9926_pictures_229.jpg

9926_pictures_230.jpg

9926_pictures_234.jpg

I just loved it!!
love.gif
I had to wash one of my hens, and she did the same thing. I told my daughter to hold her head up, didn't want her to drown. I imagine, it must feel realllll good. Great job you did there!
thumbsup.gif

Oh, he's sleepy! I guess a warm bath does that to you! I've never heard of dog shampoo, though. I've always used some Dawn dish soap in a bucket too deep for their feet to touch, swirl them around long enough to clean them, then rinse in another bucket. I use bluing shampoo (for horses or cattle) in another bucket if they're white/buff/stained.
wink.png
Always worked fine for our CornishXRocks, the filthiest birds in the world.

Back
Top Bottom