I have started building a "MONSTER" of a coop and run!2

GreggsEggs

Cooped Up
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Caneyville, KY
I want to start off say, what a great site this is! I have learned so much!

I am by far not a skilled craftsman. I have only build 3 decks in my life, two for my house and one for my moms.
I have very little clue as to what I am doing. lol

I have started building, what I think of as a "monster size" coop and run. Its finished dimensions will be 320 sq ft (8' x 40') coop and a 640 sq ft (16' x 30') run. The coop will be divided into 4 equal areas, 1 for each of the 3 breeds of chickens I have, and the 4th area will be for feed storage and incubating. The run will be divided into 3 equal areas, 1 for each breed.

(a little back round)
I currently have a small over crowded coop and run, housing 26 hens, no roo's. I have gotten an average of 2 dozen eggs a day out of my hens. There is a large demand in my local area for farm fresh, cage free, brown country eggs. I can sell 17 dozen eggs on a local street corner in an hour not to mention selling any at the local flea market.
So as a hobby I am increasing my flock and coop/run, in hopes to meet part of the demand for my eggs.

Sorry Back to the coop design......

I am running electricity and water to the coop from my houses breaker box and water supply. I started by digging the 100ft ditch 18+ in, well below the local frost line, using a ditch witch/digger. I "T'd" off on my water line and ran the pvc to where the coop is going. I installed a breaker in my breaker box and and ran 10-2 out door wire also in the ditch to the coop.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

I then installed a water hydrant and a water proof outdoor outlet.
IMG_0412.jpg

I then built the outside framing for the floor using 4x4 posts and 2x6@8ft and I used 2x6's as joists.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

I then laid 4x8 3/4 in "Advantech" ply wood and covered the frame for the floor.

IMG_0416.jpg

I then began the stick framing for the walls using different length 2x4's depending on the height of the walls. The front walls are going to be 8' and the end and rear walls will be 7'. So the vert. studs I got precut.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

This is where I am at so far today!

If anyone has read this far and have interest in seeing more let me know. Please comment on what you think so far, but be kind. I am no craftsman by far. I am just a 32 yr old guys forced to retire to a 15 acre plot of land do to health restrictions. Who likes chickens and selling eggs in town.

I think you coop is just fine. We just finished our coop and it was our first. I am already thinking about having my husband start on a second coop for my polish. I have never really built anything before and wanted to do alot of the work myself so it is also far from perfect. Our motto when we were building it was " the chickens wont care" and they don't they like it, it keeps them warm and dry.
ya.gif

what kind of chickens do you have?

ok for someone who has " no skill " it looks awesome - do you travel ? I need HELP building a coop for my girls before winter gets here, but me and my hubby have no idea where to start LOL. that coop of yours looks great and so huge how many chickens do you plan on having!!

Thank you everyone for the feed back. I will continue to post pictures and details as the coop progresses.

speckledhen said,
Was just talking to DH about running a water line and having a freestanding spigot at the coop.

I Spent about $225 for the 100ft pvc, couplings/fittings, Hydrant, and ditch witch. Worth every penny not having to lug water several times a day to the coop. I will be running hose into the the coop and splitting it to 3 automatic Poultry Fountains. So no more water lugging for me.

Nifty-Chicken said,
Amazing! I definitely want more pictures and am glad to see you are taking pics as you progress. This will be very helpful for when you add them to the BYC site (HINT).

Hmmm? How, who, what, where? There is more here than just the forums? Thats as far into the site I've gone. lol​

Back
Top Bottom