Trader Joe's chicks - updated pic pg 2!

OCchickens

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Brea, California
13347_tj_eggs.jpg

21 days completed this afternoon - 4 pips today, seem to be resting right now. I traced the air cells at day 18 -- kind of small b/c I hatched last week.

My first time hatching upright in a carton - anxious to see how it will work!

Last edited:
Wow wow wow. I did have a bunch of questions, but then I saw the other thread.... I think I'm going to try this sometime, just for fun!!

Last edited:
Congrats, She is a cutie!

I've been wanting to try TJ's eggs, but when ever I have room in th bator, TJ's doesn't have fresh fertile eggs, they were like 13 and 15 days old, so I didn't even try.

How old were your eggs when you started them.

Last edited:
They were about 3-4 days old. I'm not exactly sure how to read the dates but that's what I think.

For a long time our store only had old eggs, but recently I've been finding 3 day ones a lot. I have some in the bator now, day 4.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Congratulations. She's beautiful! Any more?

If anyone is thinking of trying grocery store eggs and needs to figure out how to read the pack codes to make sure they may develop, here is how.

You can tell the date the eggs were packaged if you figure out the day of the year before you go shopping (1 to 365 or 366 for leap years) Today is day 118 of 2009. The first three numbers are what you are looking for. Disregard the expiration date when choosing fertile eggs.

100_1296.jpg

This carton was packed on Dec. 31, 2008 ( a leap year) and it expires Jan. 23

100_1302.jpg

This carton was packed on Jan. 8, 2009 and expires Feb. 7

Thanks for the explanation on dating the eggs! GardeNerd had explained it to me before but I couldn't remember exactly. I was going by basically what you said.

I have 5 fluffy little cuties in the incubator now. 3/8 not pipped. Based on my prior experience with hatching, I would say these late guys are not going to hatch (altho I'll give them more time for sure). Wish I understood what was happening there.

I couldn't sleep last night so I got up to check the bator & ended up spending 2 hours there watching. Yikes, I'm tired!! One of the eggs was zipped all around but took 2 hrs to get out of the shell! The membrane was still attached in several places, and it looked in this case that being vertical was making it harder for the chick to get out. I was worried that it would dry out & get stuck, but no. I could have helped it by poking a wire through the vent hole, but I really wanted to know whether it could make it on its own.

I would post a picture but probably more responsible to get myself going!

That's awesome, OCchickens. Congrats on your new peeps!

Here are some of mine at two days and one at 6 weeks...

03-09PeepsFirstPhotoShoot012.jpg

Craigslistphotos011.jpg

I ended up with two boys and two girls surviving, one hatched and died.

They're very cool chickens and I'd love to do it again, but the major caveat is that the mother hens are fed such low quality feed that the peeps have a hard time making it to full term and hatching. I had 9 developing, but only 5 hatched. One died and one is kind of smoosh-faced and blind in one eye. We call her Pirate.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom