My pot bellied pig is sick, need help

chilling in muscadine

{ I love being disfunctual }
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
muscadine, al.
She was fine a couple of hours ago but when I just tried to feed her the last meal for the day she declined. She is 6 months old and her nose is a little warmer than her sisters. IDK what is wrong with her and only have 4 months experience with PBPs. She lives in the house so she couldn't have gotton into anything or gotton bitten.

Has anyone got experience they can share or a possible site to check out for info. It will be morning before I can get her to a vet. She has never declined a meal. I'm terrified right now.

Hey..it could just be a little tummy upset. but watch her for bloat and if she starts to whine alot and hunch over and acts in pain it could be Dippity Pig. my dyson had me worried a few times...vomit and the whole nine yards, but he was fine. also..check her temp. and does she sound raspy or junky at all? they can be prone to pneumonia. Have you had her wormed? that could be it also. first thing i'd do is check her temp. and see if you can get fluids down her. Also..is she peeing ang pooping normal..regular amounts?

I have NO IDEA... no experience with PBP's, but they are sure cute! I hope your girl is ok,
fl.gif
and be sure to keep us updated!
hugs.gif
Best of luck to you...

No raspy or anything. I put my ear up to her lungs but couldn't hear anything. She pead a couple of minutes ago, looked fine. My So said her poo looked fine earlier today. What is dippity pig and bloat? What should her temp be? How should I take it {like I'm thinking?} She was wormed at 2 months old. Her sister is acting fine.

Tuesday night, wednesday morning the pigs did open a low cabinet and break into a restaurant size box of individual wrapped ranch dressing packs. Between the pigs and dogs they consumed all the dressing and I had taken part of the wrappers away from her when I woke up and found the salad dressing bomb that they had made explod in my kitchen. Could it be possible she swallowed some of the packs? IDK

I just checked her temp under her arm like you might do for a baby if you were not going to do the other and it was 103. What does there temp run? I'm paniking here. What should I do?

you need to take it rectal..it should be about 100...a little higher is okay though. 103 is very high for under the arm....check it rectal with vaseline...just have hubby hold her and do it. she'll scream..but she'll get over it.

Last edited:
Quote:
ooh. thAT could be it! maybe she ate the packs! and shes feeling sick from it and needs to pass it? i dont know..sorry hun. as for bloat..its like the same as bloat in dogs that you have to watch out for. And Dippity Pig..it seems to only occur in pot bellied pigs. if shes not acting in pain and dosent have any sores on her its probably not it..unless its just starting. but..it sounds to me she has a belly ache from something.

are you sure she pooped today? try to really remember...maybe shes blocked up from the plastic?

also..the only way i could tell Hammie had pneumonia was by his grunt...it just sounded off to me...you will know it if you hear it. and he had a temp also. his was 102

Rectal temp is 106+. The emergency room is waiting for me to call them back. My So has her in a cool tub of water and she pooped a normal size and looking poop just now. Trying to bring her temp down. There was no sign of any of the packs come out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom