Scorpion sting - sick hen UPDATE - doing better with benadryl

crazy hen quartet

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Chandler AZ
I have a hen just under a year old. She was trying to eat a bark scorpion when it apparently stung her somewhere around her mouth and she shook her head and began scratching at her face.

About 15 minutes has elapsed and she is lethargic and seems to be having problems breathing, stretching out her neck and gaping with her eyes closed. She goes back and forth between laying and standing.

I have brought her inside where it is cool, is there anything else I can do for her? Can chickens have benadryl? How often are scorpion stings fatal?

She is my 9 year old son's, would hate to lose her and it sucks to see her apparently suffering.

hit.gif

Last edited:
thanks... I know that information, just not sure what do do about a chicken. Bark scorpions are harmless (but painful) for adults but can be lethal to small children, mammals - and unfortunately it is looking like chickens.

They recommend benadryl for breathing difficulties with scorpion stings, I just don't know if a chicken can have benadryl and if so, how much.

She is laying on her side now, breathing is very labored. Eyes are closed. I think we are near the end and I wish I knew something to do.

sad.png

i would give her just a bit of benadrel,if nothing else you tryed .
i know it can be giving to dogs,cats .so just a tiny bit in the mouth and may just help " I" would try it ,ggod luck

I'm sorry, it's miserable watching one suffer. Sounds like she's having an allergic reaction.

I had no idea scorpions would hurt the chickens; I've watched mine play keep away with them!

Sending best wishes to your chicky.
sad.png

Last edited:
Just gave her 1ml childrens benadryl. She is struggling. I guess we will know in about 15 minutes or so if benadryl works on chickens.

Of course, if she dies I won't know if it was the scorpion or the benadryl, but she was so close to the end we had to try something.

Now we are just trying to keep her awake and breathing as she just wants to shut her eyes and lay down.

I am so sorry. If it in fact was really a bark scorpion and not an ordinary scorpion I really think that it is going to be a sad night. I don't know if benedryl is okay for chickens but I have given it for a regular scorpion sting and everything worked out okay. As for the bark scorpions, my husband (is not a chicken) was stung by one and he was out of it for a week. He had been stung all his life by the other ones but the bark scorpion is really horrible.

Just trivia here I guess but did you know that the bark scorpion is the only one that climbs?

I hope it works out for you, I will say a prayer
hugs.gif

It was a juvenile bark scorpion. We have them all over the place out here. My chickens eat them all the time, this is the first time I have seen any of the girls get stung before. I had heard chickens aren't affected by scorpion venom. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom