Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
PICT0037.jpg

*top is a normal brown, bottom left is a FAWN and to the right is a Cinnamon.*

Now, little education moment here for us all
smile.png

What some here in the US call "fawn/ginger" is incorrect, the bird thought of as a "fawn/ginger" is actually a RED or a Cinnamon......they were just reciently produced in the US by a breeder friend of mine... but they have been on the other side of the pond for YEARs now..... and are known as Cinnamons... so IMHO they are Cinnamons.... or Cinnamon Reds if you want to be goofy
smile.png
tongue.png
. The reason saying "fawn/ginger" is so incorrect is because there really IS a fawn bird....and by calling another color "Fawn" you're confusing the colors. The fawn (the bird on the bottom left) is almost caramel colored or butter colored in comparision to the cinnamon (red).
smile.png

So!

*what we in the US call Fawn/ginger it's true name is Cinnamon (red).
*Fawn (if in the us) is very rare atleast in the wild type form... many of us have it in the tibetan form though (rosetta.....aka what i call orange tibetan is actually FAWN RANGE (or Fawn Tibetan).

And for one I know we most deffinatly don't have yet
smile.png

*drum roll please*

CREAM!

PICT0060.jpg

I'm hoping soon Ironsun can produce a picture of them in adult form
smile.png
More pictures will be coming thanks to him to teach us all some nice colors! Which I have permission from him to add to my book YAY!
smile.png

Not to be rude, but since these birds are on the other side of the 'pond' it is not uncommon for birds here to have different names. There are many birds that have different names here and there
smile.png

Quote:
I know that. But using incorrect names causes confusion.....I'd rather go by what has been accepted over htere for coturnix rather than make up SEVERAL names for the same exact color.

If coturnix had a standard here in the US then ofcourse a different name wouldnt be abig deal but coturnix don't so it makes sense atleast to me to not make up all these new random names making them sound more special than they actually are. Just My honest oppinon.

I'm personally from now on calling them what they have been called for years. My biggest issue is people trying to make special names for something so inncocent people looking for new colors end up buying the same thing they already have. It happens all the time, people lie about having the worlds largest coturnix, and the people buy them and viola, they aren't.....they're pharoahs. I have an issue with dishonesty, so by being as correct and understanding as possible I feel I'm doing justice to the species/variety we love and maybe some day we CAN make a standard for it....so yes in the mean time people are going to call them what they want, but I'm calling them what they are known as and going to continue to help people who want to learn.
smile.png

ETA not to mention im making a book on these birds and want people to be able to compair learn and understand. THeres already a lot of AKA I have to do on colors and patterns and this is why theres so much confusion.... hoping with Ironsuns and many others help that I can omit this problem
smile.png

Last edited:
So then, not to be nit-picky, but what is the correct term for the orange/rosettas? I didn't even realize they were the same thing, I have some 'rosettas' and didn't even know it.

Perhaps a coloration thread that we can get stickied?

Then again the tuturial was supposed to be stickied...

Who do you pester about such things?

Quote:
you're suppost to click the report button and if enough pepole report it and explain in the report post why they want it stickied here (instead if in the turkey section which makes no sense lol) then that'll work.
smile.png
I just edited my whole educational post adding in what i feel are the more appropriate names (also with AKAs..
th.gif
lol).

Quote:
you're suppost to click the report button and if enough pepole report it and explain in the report post why they want it stickied here (instead if in the turkey section which makes no sense lol) then that'll work.
smile.png
I just edited my whole educational post adding in what i feel are the more appropriate names (also with AKAs..
th.gif
lol).

Oh... I just sent a pm to nifty asking may we please get our sticky back. I thought report was to complain only
gig.gif

Quote:
Fawn Range
smile.png
(or fawn tibetan)
red tibetan is still also known as dark tibetan (dark range)
smile.png

eta, I want to quit using the term "red tibetan" btw as it causes confusion too. So Dark Range

and what we in the US call red, is actually Cinnamon Range, and what is confused as fawn/ginger is actually Cinnamon (in the wild pattern).

so

Fawn Range, Dark Range, Cinnamon Range.... and im sure theres MORE ranges. When I first got into coturnix the first range I got looks nothing like the ranges i have now so I dont knwo if that means theres just a British Range...I assume there is since htey say "Dark range".

I know it's confusing but hopefully it can be all cleared up
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png
th.gif
lol).

Oh... I just sent a pm to nifty asking may we please get our sticky back. I thought report was to complain only
gig.gif

LOL when he replies to you he'll probably say "next time click the report button"
lau.gif
no biggie and thank you for trying!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom