Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammi

Songster
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Rogers City, Michigan
I started over 2 years ago with 6 peeps. I am now the proud to be owned by 75+ chickens, I have silkies, cochins, barred rocks, red sex link, americana, golden lacedcochins, and 2 turkeys. I also have two house chickens, 3 cockatiels, a female golden retriever , and a 2 month old male border collie who is already herding the two chickens in the house. LOL My chicken keep me sane. We are raising two grandchildren. We live in the boondocks of Michigan, up north about 45 miles south of the bridge. Thought I had better start a Michigan topic!!! Gail

Hailing from southwest Michigan here. In the blizzard area. So very cold. I have 9 chickens, 5 bantam hens, Millie Fluers. They are funny. I also have a barred rock rooster, (Jack) a barred rock hen (Lucky), a buff orphangton (Buffy) and a Black Austrolorp (Sydney). I got them all last spring. So I am pretty new at this stuff. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Fairly new chicken owner in the Lansing area. Inherited about a dozen chickens of all different breeds that "came with the house" just over a year ago. Have learned a whole lot about chickens since then! Thanks for all the helpful info.
kitty928

I live in southwestern Mich too. I am best friends with Freebie, she doesn't live to far from me. I live in the city and can't have any chickens, so Freebie (Denise) lets be a part time foster parent to her birds. My username comes from one of her Barn cat kitties!

Hi. I am a new member and live just south of Lansing in a little farming community, Springport. I have no chickens at this time but have 25 assorted bantys coming in a few weeks that the grandkids will be showing in 4-H. I also have 13 Black Australorps, 6 Buff Orpingtons and 6 Speckled Sussex coming in May. Looking forward to meeting all of you chickens lovers.
Gayle

Hello all, Sure am glad the weather is getting a little warmer. I am turning off the heat lamp during the day now and turn it back on at night. How have your flocks handled this cold the past few months? I have one that has lost a little of her comb to frostbite. I thought they were doing so well, but it seemed to turn almost overnight. Everyone is making it just fine, though they seem to be going a little stir crazy and want to get out. I usually free range, but since it has been so cold, I have been keeping them in. One day last week the sun came out and it got pretty warm, so I let them out in the afternoon, they really enjoyed it. I will be glad when they can get out more. They are so much happier.

Hello from another Michigander!
We live in Northern Michigan and boy did we get quite a storm yesterday! No school for kid's!
We live on our family farm and also have many different breed's of chicken's that I started raising the last 2 years. Along with 2 turkey's. I love my chicken's! Cant wait for spring. My chickens are usually free range, but it has been so cold , Iv'e been keeping them in their coop house lately, Im sure their bored to death in their. We had a couple of warm day's this past week so they got to wander around a bit outside but then the storm hit, so back in their coop to stay for now.

Hi Peeps!
I'm in Southwest Michigan too! About 4 miles from the lake in South Haven.
I have way too many chickens and still too many turkeys, not enough pigeons and 2 African geese.
Not counting the dogs and cats.........3 and 2 respectively....
I am a pet sitter and Supervisor of Circulation and distribution of a small paper.
Married, no human children and big into hatching and playing with the chickens.

Waiting for spring.......

Kathy:p

Welcome Special Agent... I live about 20 minutes east of South Haven. How nice to have someone so close. I have a total of 9 chickens. 6 dogs and 4 cats. I also have 2 pigs 1 cow and 1 goat. I think that is all. I may get some meat chickens this spring, but I still have not decided.

Hey Freebie, we must use the same feed mill!?
I go to the Belle's in Bloomingdale, but next weekend I'll be going to the one on M43 & M40.
They'll be getting their chicks in and of course I have to go snoop through them like the addict I am!

Are your pigs pets? I fell in love with a baby pot belly last summer and have been thinking about them ever since. It's the last thing I need, but I sure do want one.

I did the meat bird thing a couple times. The last time it came time to butcher I wimped out and I never did eat any. Gave them all away. For some reason, I can't seem to eat chicken that resembles any recognizeable part of a chicken. Chicken fingers, chicken patty's, chicken strips, all that I can do, but a peice of chicken with a bone in it or if it's in the shape of some part of the chicken.........well I get to thinkin' and I just can't do it.

I have about 125 chickens left and I'm gonna thin down to about 40 I think. Belle's is having a big auction in May, hope to see ya there.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom