Permanent Hoop Coop In Progress_Update!!! See Post #34!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chook-A-Holic

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Central, N.C.
I got started on the Hoop_De'_Coop this weekend. Its going to be 8'6" by 16'. I'm building it permanent with a girder down the center to support the occasional snow/ice load. I've ordered some Loxit rings to attach the hardware cloth to the cattle panels. Now that is pouring down raining, I guess will get a break from working on it for a day or two. The DW likes it so well that she is hinting to me about disassembling the other chain link run and replacing it with a replica of this one.

42454_hoop_de_coop_002.jpg

42454_hoop_de_coop_001.jpg

Marty

Last edited:
I like it too!! How tall is it? And are you covering it with something besides wire so they have protection? It looks like something my DH and I could build, too, which is why I am asking -

Quote:
The height is 6'1" with the ends of the panels on 104" centers and they are mounted 2" below the top of the 4x6 on the 6" side(4"side up). In my OP I stated the width as 8'6" but is is actually 8'8". Keep in mind the height is the wire not the girder. I can walk down either side of the girder and duck to walk under it as it is 51/2" below the wire. The header that supports the girder over the door is 11" from the top of the wire. I do have to duck to get into the door, but it's not bad at all. I don't mind the little inconvenience of watching out for my head, as now I don't have to worry about this thing crashing to the ground in bad winter weather. I have walked down the center on the top of this thing and it don't move at all, it is very stable. I even tried to shake it which resulted in very little movement. I am going to cover about half this with a heavy duty truckers tarp to give the chooks some protection. I am also going to put plywood on the rear end wall and install a huddle box on the outside of the enclosure with 2 2x4 roost inside to keep them out of the wind and inclement weather. I consider this to be permanent, however it can be moved if absolutely necessary. It is very heavy and not a tractor by any means. Once I'm about done with it I will anchor it down and extend my electric fencing to include this one.

I could have saved some money and not bought some of the heavier lumber as I did, however I want this to last a while and I wanted it heavy duty. I guess you could say I built this with a "money no object" attitude. I will have about $600.00 in this not counting the huddle box(free shipping crate from local tech. co)when I'm finished.

Marty

Well I finally got the little ones in their new home. I still have a few small odds and ends but for the most part it is finished. I have to say that for the most part this was a very interesting and exciting project. I think the next time I get ready to build anything outdoors I will not do it in the fall/winter. It has been rainy then cold the entire time I've been working on this thing.

Front View
42454_hoop_house_a_004.jpg

Front Left View
42454_hoop_house_a_009.jpg

Front Right View
42454_hoop_house_a_008.jpg

Rear View>>>Showing the rear overhang and winter boards in place. In the spring I will remove the OSB boards and the overhang will keep rain from blowing into the covered part of the hoop.
42454_hoop_house_a_010.jpg

Huddle Box_1>>> Got this from a local tech co. that a $500,000.00 piece of equipment came in. It was cheaper for them to give it to me than to ship it back to California. I still have to get the chook door installed, maybe today. This is the view with the man door in place.
42454_hoop_house_a_005.jpg

Huddle Box_2>>> This is the view with the man door removed for access and cleaning.
42454_hoop_house_a_006.jpg

Detail View of Loxit Rings Installed>>> Only $46.00 for 5#'s of rings and the tool. It would have probably cost just as much if not more to use the zip straps. Installation of these things are a breeze.
42454_hoop_house_a_011.jpg

Dusting Box>>> I fixed a 4'x8' area in front of the huddle box for them to dust in. As you can see they are all in it
42454_hoop_house_a_012.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome. I have thought about making one just like this with hog panels (or cattle panels). My only worry has been whether or not the welds on the panels might break over time because of the pressure from being bent. Do you think they would? I love the cage rings too. I have used those for years. They are so easy to use and hold up great.

CityChicker, the welds will be fine. They are tougher than you think. Sure the panel will be under some tension, however it's not like you are constantly flexing it back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom