The Sussex thread!

Pics

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Show off your Sussex! (This includes: Light, Speckled, and other sussex
wink.png
) I have a Light sussex egg due to hatch January 13.. I saw the chicks parents and thought they where gorgeous! so i would love to see all your sussex!!!
big_smile.png

My Speckled Sussex are my favorite birds. They are not show quality, but they are good layers of medium eggs for us. The rooster is my bud. He takes care of the flock and even keeps the other roosters in check. One of our Orpinton Rooster loves to go after my son. Well, my Speckled Sussex Roo has many a time nailed that Orp and sent him flying to stop him from chasing my son. He also loves to be fed from my hand.

They are all shameless treat hounds.
Our hens...
12214_sussex_hens.jpg

My Rooster 'Morning'
12214_morning_on_deck.jpg

My Speckled Sussex (Jean) was given to me this past summer by a friend. She's not quite a year old and a bit extra fluffy (ahem ... I think) from having eaten a little too much scratch during the hot summer here in Vegas. I named her after the girl who gave her to me. She's second in the pecking order and willing to let all the others know it. She's kinda like a henchman or assasin for the head biddy ... she does all the dirty work to keep them both on top.
big_smile.png
When she molted her feathers came back with tons of white in them. I think it's an adaptation to the heat. I'm eagerly waiting for her to start laying.
hmm.png
Yep, between moving in to a new place, extreme summer heat, molting, new diggs (we built a hen house and covered run), winter (yes, it gets rather cold here, just no snow) and a series of new companions... no eggs yet.
sad.png
However, 'hope' SPRINGS eternal and the days are getting longer...

44629_dsc08076_a.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I actually think i like speckled sussex with more white like yours... VERY pretty!

They get more white after their first molt. Unfortunately that isn't the standard for them.

Back
Top Bottom